Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiangning

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I got the new XS Max today. Compared with my current X, I noticed two deteriorations:

1. The display seems lower contrast and flatter color. Maybe a result of LG screens as opposed to Samsung ones?

2. Using Airpods, XS Max’s volume is lower and the dynamics don’t sound as good as X. Anyone knows if Apple has changed the DAC, if that matters?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I'm not seeing any issues or hearing any.

Do you have Volume Limiting on or using some sort of EQ setting?

jiangning

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I'm not seeing any issues or hearing any.

Do you have Volume Limiting on or using some sort of EQ setting?

Nah, no limit on anything.
They’re not issues, just the subtle differences that I noticed when I played round the new XS beside X.
Neither is noticeable unless side-by-side comprison, but it just doesn’t feel too great when I find the new phone less preferable in these regards.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Screen is as good as my X just bigger (and I did compare side by side)

AirPods I wouldn’t know as never had them, but I wouldn’t suspect they being any different.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I thought that Apple said they made both the screen and speakers better? It was one of the selling points.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
There are no LG screens on any current production XS or XS Max phones.

Haven’t tried AirPods, but the built in speakers on the Max are better than I had on the X.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Take it back into Apple and compare it in-store, then you'll know 100%.

I held my X up against all the new phones on display in Apple, and there's (to me), no difference. Certainly shouldn't be worse on a new phone though that's for sure.

Are the colours washed out? Dull? Like it's not popping colour wise?

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
I got the new XS Max today. Compared with my current X, I noticed two deteriorations:

1. The display seems lower contrast and flatter color. Maybe a result of LG screens as opposed to Samsung ones?

2. Using Airpods, XS Max’s volume is lower and the dynamics don’t sound as good as X. Anyone knows if Apple has changed the DAC, if that matters?

Sucks to be you. Mine sounds and looks perfectly fine and are great. Not even close to the worse screen and sound quality at all for me.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I wouldn’t say it’s better or worse. Just bigger screen than the X or XS. Which in my case was the purpose of going with the Max.

winrya

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Only thing I noticed between my x and max screens comparing in the shop was the max had a more yellow tint which wasn’t too noticeable unless holding my phone side by side

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
There are no LG screens on any current production XS or XS Max phones.

Haven’t tried AirPods, but the built in speakers on the Max are better than I had on the X.

I believe this, but I wish we had a source confirm that there aren’t any LG manufactured OLED’s on these.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2017
My screen looks beautiful, if you are unhappy with it I suggest you return it to Apple, that’s why they have a 14 day return policy

hklaurent

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018

Yes, I also have the same issue here :-(

mrshakeyhandman

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Belfast, Northern Ireland

If you're looking good sound dynamics don't use earpods ;-)
My screen on s Max looks much better than my X btw

Reactions: Newtons Apple

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

It’s not lg display issue.

I got two iPhone X’s max one had a problematic display; pink hue shift, the second was perfect. But both are certainly not flatter in color or lacked contrast.

You can try this:
1. Settings, general, accessibility, display accommodations, colour filters, tritanopia
It offers a bit more saturation to colours on the device.

2.no, I’m getting louder and more dynamic sounds from AirPods with X’s max. Try deleting it and repairing it.

hklaurent

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
thanks fo
It’s not lg display issue.

I got two iPhone X’s max one had a problematic display; pink hue shift, the second was perfect. But both are certainly not flatter in color or lacked contrast.

You can try this:
1. Settings, general, accessibility, display accommodations, colour filters, tritanopia
It offers a bit more saturation to colours on the device.

2.no, I’m getting louder and more dynamic sounds from AirPods with X’s max. Try deleting it and repairing it.

thanks for the suggestion

sumo.do

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Australia

Could be a dud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.