Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martyna6277

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
I am facing the challenge of buying my first iPhone and because of the camera I am more convinced by the 14 Pro, but the price is a bit high. I don't know if it's worth paying that much extra compared to the 13 Pro - especially since I'm convinced to buy only by the camera, the rest of the new features are not that important to me.

I really like the autofocus in the front camera on the 14 Pro, hence the question is it a software thing? Am I also able to get this effect in the 13 Pro using the proper app?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I am facing the challenge of buying my first iPhone and because of the camera I am more convinced by the 14 Pro, but the price is a bit high. I don't know if it's worth paying that much extra compared to the 13 Pro - especially since I'm convinced to buy only by the camera, the rest of the new features are not that important to me.

I really like the autofocus in the front camera on the 14 Pro, hence the question is it a software thing? Am I also able to get this effect in the 13 Pro using the proper app?
Do note that having autofocus on the front facing camera creates another nuance of selfies.
Int he past, with fixed/infinite focus, selfies are generally have everything "in focus," including people a bit in front/behind you and the background. With auto-focus, there will be a bit of depth of field created. This may/may not be preferred, especially in group shots where some people might actually be out of focus when the auto focus camera is focussed on certain people at certain distances.

martyna6277

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
No, it's a hardware update.

Thank you!

Do note that having autofocus on the front facing camera creates another nuance of selfies.
Int he past, with fixed/infinite focus, selfies are generally have everything "in focus," including people a bit in front/behind you and the background. With auto-focus, there will be a bit of depth of field created. This may/may not be preferred, especially in group shots where some people might actually be out of focus when the auto focus camera is focussed on certain people at certain distances.

Hm, that's a good point! Is there any way to switch it to infinite focus?

I am also wondering about the case of the 48mpx camera. I know that with the Halid app it is possible to take photos in HEIC format in 48mpx, but the very fact of being able to take 48mpx in RAW format is tempting. Looking at photos on the internet you can't always tell the difference, but I'm wondering if it's worth it at this point to buy an iPhone 13 Pro, where the 12mpx camera has been around for a while, when I intend to keep this phone for at least 3-4 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.