Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Hello,

The front facing camera of my iPhone 11 Pro suddenly stopped working yesterday. It shows a black screen and if I press the shooter it just crashes. The problem persists with other apps like Instagram and Lightroom.

I took it to Apple Support and 4 hrs later they said the hardware was defective and gave me a new phone.

After restoring my phone I could not believe it: the front camera is still not working!

I contacted Apple Support again and they say it can in fact be a software issue or... beating the odds a hardware issue again.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue?

Last edited:

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Try backing it up, then set up as a new phone: if it works then, it's a software issue. If it doesn't, then it's probably hardware.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
two in a row ? Hardly an hardware defect again... maybe some software combination.
Did you try to restore as new and NOT to restore your backup for a while ?

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Hey guys, I have set it up as new and then logged in my iCloud since I am afraid to loose information. I agree it should be a software issue and not a hardware one, and also that nasty bug resides in my backup.

Do you know if I can set up a new phone and then get my info from iCloud without loosing anything?

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Wow, it has been a while, but I am coming back to this thread to confirm: it was a software bug and somehow my iCloud was storing it.

The solution was to just set up my iPhone as a new phone, quite annoying but at least I ended up with a brand new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.