Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hi,

We've long had a "contributor" tier that wasn't well advertised. It provided an ad-free MacRumors experience, and also offered a way for dedicated users to support the site for a small fee. We also offered a few additional features, private forums as well as the ad-removal. I've long had plans to add features to it, expand the offerings, to make it a more compelling subscription.

We are starting to test a way for those users to filter the front page stories in specific ways. Those with active MacRumors subscriptions should see a new option called "News Preferences" in their forum account preference panel. This will let you filter out specific types of stories from the front page, and they will be moved to a new sidebar item called "Page 2 Stories". In addition, you can further remove any sidebar element, such as Guides, Upcoming, Recent Comments or even the Page 2 Stories block itself.

An example of the front page with "Deals" content filtered out:

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.01.11 PM.png

Existing subscribers to the contributor tier can continue to extend using the previous pricing, but for new subscribers, the price for this tier is $50/year.

Current benefits:

- Ad free Front Page, Forums. You simply have to be logged into the forums, and all ads should be removed.
- Authy "one tap" 2 Factor authentication. Details
- Ability to delete your own posts
- Longer time limit on editing own posts
- Access to Private Forums
- Ability to change your username: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/account-details
- Filter front page stories: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/news-preferences

How to Subscribe: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

Consider this an early test, please leave me feedback if things aren't working as expected.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I applaud the effort to make another worthwhile tier. However, I think the $50 price tag for what is offered is rather steep. The private forums rarely if ever have any traffic. They are a ghost town. To me, that isn't a meaningful perk. The 2FA offering can be done with other apps besides Authy. The ability to change a username is a nice perk. For $50, I think there needs to be more usable and meaningful perks.

How about private access to podcasts and videos not made to the public?
How about offering an ongoing podcast and video series for people new to Apple products?
How about offering the opportunity for Contributors to participate in some way in the aforementioned, thus giving insight, help, and more of a forum voice to the community at large?
How about offering private giveaways to Contributors?
How about a weekly podcast series where some of the forum members help answer questions about Macs, iPhones, and other products that many here have trouble with from time to time?
How about a "I am a Macrumors Forum Contributor and all I got was this lousy t-shrt" I think something like that would be fun.

There are many things that can be done to engage the membership while growing your business, Arn. I think you need to give this new tier more consideration.

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I applaud the effort to make another worthwhile tier. However, I think the $50 price tag for what is offered is rather steep. The private forums rarely if ever have any traffic. They are a ghost town. To me, that isn't a meaningful perk. The 2FA offering can be done with other apps besides Authy. The ability to change a username is a nice perk. For $50, I think there needs to be more usable and meaningful perks.

Yep. We'll see how it goes. I'm aware there is subscription fatigue, and this is very much just a "nice to have" feature set aimed at dedicated visitors who want to support the site.

With inflation, everything is off the roof. I think $50 is a good price. However can we please have more than 2 special titles, please? 🙏🏻

More username special titles would also be appealing for many to justify the membership price.

Attachments

• 7E47917E-841D-4E0A-ADBA-50E1D463CF6E.jpeg
    7E47917E-841D-4E0A-ADBA-50E1D463CF6E.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 156

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

We've long had a "contributor" tier that wasn't well advertised. It provided an ad-free MacRumors experience, and also offered a way for dedicated users to support the site for a small fee. We also offered a few additional features, private forums as well as the ad-removal. I've long had plans to add features to it, expand the offerings, to make it a more compelling subscription.

We are starting to test a way for those users to filter the front page stories in specific ways. Those with active MacRumors subscriptions should see a new option called "News Preferences" in their forum account preference panel. This will let you filter out specific types of stories from the front page, and they will be moved to a new sidebar item called "Page 2 Stories". In addition, you can further remove any sidebar element, such as Guides, Upcoming, Recent Comments or even the Page 2 Stories block itself.

An example of the front page with "Deals" content filtered out:

View attachment 2043399
Existing subscribers to the contributor tier can continue to extend using the previous pricing, but for new subscribers, the price for this tier is $50/year.

Current benefits:

- Ad free Front Page, Forums. You simply have to be logged into the forums, and all ads should be removed.
- Authy "one tap" 2 Factor authentication. Details
- Ability to delete your own posts
- Longer time limit on editing own posts
- Access to Private Forums
- Ability to change your username: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/account-details
- Filter front page stories: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/news-preferences

How to Subscribe: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

Consider this an early test, please leave me feedback if things aren't working as expected.
Love the option to filter front page stories, very useful feature that I'm already using immediately. Thank you for extending the pricing for existing subscribers @arn !! 🎉🙏

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How about private access to podcasts and videos not made to the public?
How about offering an ongoing podcast and video series for people new to Apple products?
How about offering the opportunity for Contributors to participate in some way in the aforementioned, thus giving insight, help, and more of a forum voice to the community at large?
How about offering private giveaways to Contributors?
How about a weekly podcast series where some of the forum members help answer questions about Macs, iPhones, and other products that many here have trouble with from time to time?
How about a "I am a Macrumors Forum Contributor and all I got was this lousy t-shrt" I think something like that would be fun.

There are many people things that can be done to engage the membership while growing your business, Arn. I think you need to give this new their more consideration.

Yep, all those sort of things are being considered but going with baby steps.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I've been eyeing the $25 annual subscription for a while after spending more time in the forums. Increasing it to $50 has just made me reject it without a further thought. I'm a member of other sites with 'private' forums for subscribers and they're utterly dead so I'm not surprised by what @Apple_Robert says above.

I think you'll lose subscribers when it comes to renewal time by doubling the cost and it will put off new subscribers.

Reactions: Populus

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I could be mistaken, but I think this is just another option and the existing $25 subscription will still be available.

[edit]Sorry, I think spoke too soon. I was seeing both a $25 and $50 option, but if I log out and then view that link, it only offers the $50 option.

Last edited:
Reactions: icanhazmac

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

@Boyd01 was right and wrong at the same time.

The way I read it is that current subscribers can continue at $25/yr, call it being grandfathered in.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I could be mistaken, but I think this is just another option and the existing $25 subscription will still be available.

[edit]Sorry, I think spoke too soon. I was seeing both a $25 and $50 option, but if I log out and then view that link, it only offers the $50 option.
That looks alike a bug since you are a moderator. Will look into it

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Merely curious. When my subscription is about to end, I will receive a notification, no?
Is there a timespan/grace period that I need to renew by, before being charged the new rate?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Merely curious. When my subscription is about to end, I will receive a notification, no?
Is there a timespan/grace period that I need to renew by, before being charged the new rate?
there’s notifications that you will expire and there is an extend button that you can use.

If it lapses for some reason, contact me, we aren’t going to be sticklers about it.

We’ll try to make all this clearer.
arn

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Special titles would be cool other than Demi-god/goddess or contributor.

-but-

The chipset titles have always been kind of cool and it keeps the forums clean.

How about some Web1.0 stuff with smiley faces, hearts, and stars? 🤣

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I liked it when the paid option wasn't widely known about - it was fun whenever there was a thread that evolved into a conversation about how advertising made websites like MR possible. Invariably someone would say that they would happily pay for an ad-free MR if it was an option, but as soon as you pointed out it already was an option, they always seemed to go quiet ;)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The name change policy for regular members is here:

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201260787-Can-I-change-my-user-name-

(The following is based on a post by @arn in 2020)
Contributors can access a forum feature to directly change their username. The request is then added to an approval queue where a moderator or administrator must review/approve it. Contributors can only change their name once every 3 months and the old name will also be listed on your account for 30 days after the change.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Posting to suggest another benefit for subscribers... the removal of the 'disagree' limit. I appreciate the darkest of humor at times but the number idiots posting in the https://www.macrumors.com/2022/11/21/apple-store-hingham-vehicle-crash/ thread had me at my limit way too quickly. I don't think those comments should be mod'd, let fools be fools, but I would like to register my opinion on those posts without waiting for my reset.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This is a welcome change. I stopped being a Contributor because while it did filter display ads, it didn’t filter “article ads” multiple times a week. $50/yr is a bit steep on the one hand, but…. Worth consideration.

Reactions: icanhazmac

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I used to be a contributor a for a long time. Back when teh private forums were popular and quite active. And I do think many of the 'ad' articles should be on another tab and love the idea of being able to filter articles. For $96 a year I can get a subscription to Hulu, watch tons of content, etc. For half that I can remove the ads from MR and filter some articles from the home page and change my user name?!? That seems like some lopsided value. Two tiers, available to everyone all the time would make sense. Ad free for $15 a year and the new filter plus version for $25. But forcing a single tier and at the $50 price point, I agree will cause a lot of cancellations/non-renewals.

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I used to be a contributor a for a long time. Back when teh private forums were popular and quite active. And I do think many of the 'ad' articles should be on another tab and love the idea of being able to filter articles. For $96 a year I can get a subscription to Hulu, watch tons of content, etc. For half that I can remove the ads from MR and filter some articles from the home page and change my user name?!? That seems like some lopsided value. Two tiers, available to everyone all the time would make sense. Ad free for $15 a year and the new filter plus version for $25. But forcing a single tier and at the $50 price point, I agree will cause a lot of cancellations/non-renewals.
Agreed, I was a contributor for a while and justified the lower price for ad-free, etc., but at $50 after many years I chose not to renew.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The people that made the private forums fun are long gone from the site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.