Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emmanueldmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2022
About 5 months ago I bought my iPhone 13 Pro Max (never hit or wet), today I noticed how at high volumes (over 80%) sometimes the front speaker produces crackling, (especially when I receive a call or something) and this is very annoying.

I decided to go to an apple store and at the genius bar they told me that there was nothing wrong with the device, it worked perfectly, however their tests do not convince me.

On my visit I took the opportunity to test with a couple of iPhones of the same model and my surprise is that they all do the same thing and this are the steps to replicate:

**In settings you go to sound and vibration, then turn the volume up to 100% and test with the Opening tone; here the cracking is noticeable on the front speaker.**

What do you think? Does this happen to you or have you noticed something similar?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You’ve possibly blown your speaker. This is why I always put max volume as one below the actual limit.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
It's called overdriving your speaker, and/or the amp.
The amp and speaker have enough gain to make quiet audio sufficiently loud enough to hear.
But that doesn't mean you can expect to play audio that's already loud, at full volume, without distortion. Just like you can't on a real hifi system. The amp clips, and/or the speaker membrane hits its physical limits of dispersion.
What kind of playback quality do you actually expect from a speaker the size of a mouse's nutsack?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
What do you expect. Turn the volume down. You likely have damaged your speaker. Buy a boom box!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.