Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

detritustroll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Hi there,

Im quite a mac noobie, but im hoping there is some mac wizzard out there who can help me with this issue.

I have looked at the other posts on this but cant find a soloution.

OK so here goes.

Im using my macbook (intel) on my 26"tv, outputting from the mini dvi to dvi, then from dvi to hdmi.

Now if i set the display to overscan then it fills my tv, but i cannot see menu bar and each side of screen is out (e.g. would miss words to left and right), now if i turn off the overscan then it comes so i can see all of screen but it is out of allignment on the tv (about an inch gap to the left and about 4 inchs to left), the same when running front row.

Not sure how to fix, its not my screen as if i set res to 1900 x 1000 then it fills screen but front row etc is still off???

Help a noob please.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
Perhaps this helps. ;)

See the bar on the top of the left screen in the first picture. This is the menu bar. Drag and drop it on the other display to set it as your primary. (point 6)

Perhaps there are other wizards with greater wisdom than mine that could help?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
What kind of TV do you have? I'm guessing that since it's 26", it's a 1366x768 LCD. Is that correct? What Brand and Model number ... that would help.

1. Does OS X allow for a 1366x768 resolution? If not, use 720p (1280x720) as that will be the closest. Text may look fuzzy, but it's a resolution that your TV is likely to accept.

2. I would try using the TV's aspect ratio functions. If you have a zero-overscan setting on the TV, use that. Then play around with the Display System Preference's "overscan" button to see what it does. Check it ... uncheck it.

3. Does the TV have a VGA port? Sometimes, the VGA port handles computers a little bit better. Also, the VGA port may have zero-overscan already set-up since you would expect a computer to be connected to VGA, whereas HDMI is expecting a CE device.

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.