Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
The screen is 10x normal so I only see a tiny portion. Holding left and right buttons turns on light and sounds an alarm then calls 911. I ask Siri to shut my phone down, Siri says I must unlock first. Siri will not shut the phone down. The screen is frozen. I CAN make calls w FaceTime and my iMac.

HOW can I shut down this stupid iPhone?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The screen is 10x normal so I only see a tiny portion. Holding left and right buttons turns on light and sounds an alarm then calls 911. I ask Siri to shut my phone down, Siri says I must unlock first. Siri will not shut the phone down. The screen is frozen. I CAN make calls w FaceTime and my iMac.

HOW can I shut down this stupid iPhone?
When you say the screen is 10x normal, did you or someone you know touch one of the Accessibility settings?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
No the screen just enlarges far out of normal viewing and freezes. Holding vol+ and right side button does not work except calling 911. So i learned thanks to Artic Moose how to force vol+vol-right side hold does work. I wiped the phone then installed my recent backup. This morning the phone froze again. Restarted. But Siri works intermittently. This has never happened until I installed the last system update.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
if it repetitively does what you described either take it to Best Buy, the Apple Store or your cell carrier and have them test it and see if it is a hardware issue. I suspect that it might have a hardware issue

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
No, Zoom is off. I’m not sure what causes it to suddenly blow up the screen and freeze. Since owning an iphone 4, ive never seen this behavior.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Good idea. Ill try it. And report back.
If you are going to do that, you may as well go full nuclear.

If you can connect the phone to a computer with a cable you can do a fresh install of the firmware by putting the phone in DFU mode:

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to computer with a USB cable.
Step 5. Now connect your iPhone 13 to your computer.

What does this mean when trying to go into DFU mode? The entire process doesn't get my phone into a black window? and I don't see the message either.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to computer with a USB cable.
Step 5. Now connect your iPhone 13 to your computer.

What does this mean when trying to go into DFU mode? The entire process doesn't get my phone into a black window? and I don't see the message either.
It is pretty tricky to get the timing right.

Here's a video:

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
But it says start w the cable plugged, then the last step is plug the cable in. Something is missing or wrongly stated.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
spent all evening trying to wipe, clean install, and finally restore from backup, then run a final backup. I hope this works. I somehow deleted my big clock and my big calendar widgets. So I got them from the app store again, but I’ve never had to keep both a large widget and a small clock & small calendar. There weren’t four objects on the iphone13 as new, just 2.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
spent all evening trying to wipe, clean install, and finally restore from backup, then run a final backup. I hope this works. I somehow deleted my big clock and my big calendar widgets. So I got them from the app store again, but I’ve never had to keep both a large widget and a small clock & small calendar. There weren’t four objects on the iphone13 as new, just 2.
If you see the problem again, I would recommend doing a DFU Restore and then using the phone for a while without restoring from backup (and potentially even without signing in to iCloud) to really exclude all potential issues except hardware failure.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.