Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exces6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Is anyone else frustrated by the new Bedtime Mode? It seems to be the only way to have DND automatically turn on and off with varying alarm times, but having a separate Lock Screen over my main one is incredibly annoying. I can’t get it to unlock with only one swipe; I have to click dismiss or swipe once then repeat at the classic Lock Screen (the one that displays when DND is enabled until).

Is this by design or perhaps (hopefully) a glitch? I understand that some might want that extra bit of friction to stop them from using their phone late at night, but for those of us who just want automatic DND to coordinate with our wake up alarm, I find this new “feature” very annoying if I need to check my phone after Bedtime Mode has turned on.

The obvious workaround is to use scheduled DND, but that doesn’t give me flexibility for days where I wake up 45 mins early to run or sleep 15 minutes later because my toddler went to sleep later. I much prefer the old method where I could vary my alarm time by 15-30 minutes here and there and have confidence it wouldn’t change again until I manually did so. Am I stuck using manual alarms and scheduled DND from here on out?

Aside from the annoying extra step to get into my phone with Bedtime Mode on, the whole alarm experience now feels fragmented. I used to just pop into the Clock app right before bed and slide the ring to my preferred wake up time, knowing DND and a bedtime reminder would follow automatically. In iOS 14, it’s an extra tap in the Clock app to change the next wake up only, and it dumps you into the Health app to make any permanent setting changes (again requiring another tap). This new setup doesn’t feel slick and easy and assumes everyone has a set weekly/daily wake up time (which isn’t true).

Exces6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
It is by design. You are supposed to be sleeping, not playing with your phone. The double screen is to help prevent that action from readily occurring.

Thanks! I wish they’d include a way to disable that “lockout” feature but still have DND adjust to your alarm. A notification-free wind down period is great, but I use my phone to turn on my white noise machine and turn off lights in other rooms. That means unlocking my phone is routinely the very last thing I do before sleeping, and I don’t always make it into bed at the exact time set as the goal in my phone.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Thanks! I wish they’d include a way to disable that “lockout” feature but still have DND adjust to your alarm. A notification-free wind down period is great, but I use my phone to turn on my white noise machine and turn off lights in other rooms. That means unlocking my phone is routinely the very last thing I do before sleeping, and I don’t always make it into bed at the exact time set as the goal in my phone.
Unfortunately, you will stay aggravated with the app.

lukejr

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Ah nice to know this is the problem, was driving me nuts. Disabled bedtime mode now which I liked as a feature, but frustrating the double unlock.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Go to your sleep schedule and scroll down to options, Toogle sleep mode to off. This should turn off the extra step and still allow DND to function as you want

dangegland

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2015
Go to your sleep schedule and scroll down to options, Toogle sleep mode to off. This should turn off the extra step and still allow DND to function as you want

Thanks for this @dcp10, I really hope this works for tomorrow morning. This has been frustrating the crap out of me since I turned bedtime mode on about a month ago.

I don't feel they adequately indicate what this setting does when configuring the feature. On the weekends I have my wake time set for 9AM as a safety.. often I get up earlier, and then I've had to deal with this 100% increase in 'clicks' for sometimes an hour or so. Very annoying.

Fingers crossed it does the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.