Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brammmmmlam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2018
So I just bought a new macbook air. I downloaded google chrome, I had to drag the chrome icon into my applications folder and now there is an 'installer' icon from chrome on my desktop.
I wanted to delete this or drag it into antoher folder but it's just impossible. Even when I look with finder into my 'desktop' folder it seems to be empty...
When I want to delete the installer I get a message that I'm about to delete the entire program. I tried downloading it again but the same thing happened.
I'm extremely frustrated, this never happened to me before.
Does anyone know what the problem is here?

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Use the Finder normally on the far left of the dock, in the Application tab locate to see if Chrome has been installed.

If it is, click on the Installer on the desktop and Command+E to eject the installer.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Sounds like you have a mounted disk image. Very standard process on Macs since the beginning. This is very different than an installer or wizard that folks are used to on a Win box; very similar to zipped file.

To be clear, you are not dragging an icon to the Applications folder...you are copying the executable/application. Once that is done, you simply eject the mounted disk image. To fully remove it you can then delete the compressed disk image after the mounted image has been ejected.

Normal steps:

1. download compressed disk image (usually .dmg).
2. double click to decompress and mount disk image
3. drag contents out of decompressed disk image to create a copy of disk image items where you want them kept
4. eject mounted disk image
5. delete compressed disk image file (.dmg)

One odd (counter-intuitive) thing: Dragging a disk image to the trash unmounts (ejects) it, but it does not delete it. You can also right click and eject it. This goes back to the earliest day of Macs, when dragging a floppy disk to the trash would eject it.

It does not show up in the Finder as it is a mounted (virtual) disk, and behaves the same as a mounted external drive, optical drive, or served share point: visible on the desktop, but not in the desktop folder.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.