Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Does anyone ever get frustrated with mobile devices because you can’t do everything you can on a full fledge desktop os?

I get why you should not program on a iPhone or iPad a lot but what about other stuff. Like idk using a browser addon or a certain browser over Safari. That or being able to open links easily in program of chose

Know mobile os are improving but still

Is it just the nature of the beast or do I just have to accept the limits for now?

TacoFan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2023
Are you frustrated when you’re in your car in traffic and you can’t fly to avoid it as if you were in a plane?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah.

One of the reasons my phones/tablets have NEVER replaced the 20+ computers, the 55" HDTV and the giant monitors I use in my house.

I don't want a jack of all trades, but my phone is a master of making phone calls and sending texts/emails.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
There will always be limits . . . . .

True.

Are you frustrated when you’re in your car in traffic and you can’t fly to avoid it as if you were in a plane?
No

Yeah.

One of the reasons my phones/tablets have NEVER replaced the 20+ computers, the 55" HDTV and the giant monitors I use in my house.

I don't want a jack of all trades, but my phone is a master of making phone calls and sending texts/emails.

Yeah.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Does anyone ever get frustrated with mobile devices because you can’t do everything you can on a full fledge desktop os?

I get why you should not program on a iPhone or iPad a lot but what about other stuff. Like idk using a browser addon or a certain browser over Safari. That or being able to open links easily in program of chose

Is it just the nature of the beast or do I just have to accept the limits for now?
I hope stagemanager will make its way to iPhone so I can just hook it up to a USB-C dock and use it as a fully fledged computer similar to how iPad works today.
Android users have been able to do this for quite sometime.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I hope stagemanager will make its way to iPhone so I can just hook it up to a USB-C dock and use it as a fully fledged computer similar to how iPad works today.
Android users have been able to do this for quite sometime.

Yep. Though what about the file system ?

That still sucks somewhat.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
You can hammer a nail into a board with a crescent wrench, but it violates design. Many people function in life outside of design.. and they think that because they can hammer in the nail with a wrench that all is well.

Your problem is one of perspective; your phone is not a full-fledged desktop device. I have zero problems with my phone.. because I don’t treat it as a full-fledged desktop computer. Just because you can do something on a desktop computer doesn’t mean you will be able to do the same on a mobile phone. Use the proper tool for the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: max2

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK

I don't like using my iPhone for booking a hotel let's say. I prefer to use my Mac. There are use cases where I prefer to do stuff on my iPhone or iPad, and there are use cases where I prefer to use my Mac. It is what it is. People are weird and different. I don't think there will ever be a one size fits all option.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Not really, we have become so accustomed to the improvements from year to year that we lose sight of just how amazing the technology is. Limits??? You can't talk to a satellite with your desktop, it doesn't know if you have fallen or having a heart problem. It can't take stunning photos or videos. It can't let emergency services know where you are if you have had an accident. We buy our technology to perform certain tasks, just be grateful and amazed for what they can do. We are all spoiled.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

I live in SoCal so yes, I’ve actually had this feeling quite often.

Teleportation would be nice, too.

That said, I find iPhone and iPad limitations to be minor annoyances. I switch to desktop/laptop for tasks that are easier accomplished on those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.