Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Hello everyone,

I would like to now how i could use FTP with Blogger. All i have is my PowerBook. I don't know anything about anything when it comes to this stuff. But i would like to put something together like the Mike Mata's Blog Thanks ~Spario

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Oh my god! I tried to do this exact same thing last night with absolutely no luck as well...

When you use the "Advanced Setup" it asks for an ftp server, a site name.. and it assumes the port.

Then it goes through its "Setup" and tells you your remote hosting ftp blogger account has been setup on your server for you.

Apparently the folks over at blogger think that minor things like usernames and passwords are unnecessary for ftp access.

I have no idea how to set it up either.

:confused:

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
cr2sh said:
http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=121&topic=19

No. Because the tutorial itself points out exactly what I'm talking about. I mean read it. I have no idea how they think it'll work.. unless your ftp is setup with full anonymous privileges.

:confused:

EDIT: I'm working through an SFTP setup now.

After you do an advanced setup for an sftp server, you setup your ftp site and name and that stuff. Then it says it's been created.

It hasn't.

Then when you go in to publish a blog... there's a "publishing" tab where you can enter a username and password for ftp.

Then it says it's creating the account.

It takes about 5 minutes and then bails. Saying there was an error.

I'll probably just skip out and stick with wordpress or something, this blogger sucks. I just wanted the integrated ftp options.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Although I'll admit setting it up is a little touchy, it's far from impossible to do.
The biggest thing you need to remember is to put a directory for your blog to reside, other wise it'll just upload everything to the root(aka before your http folder) and you won't see nothing.
I assume your trying to FTP to your own domain/site?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
dornoforpyros said:
Although I'll admit setting it up is a little touchy, it's far from impossible to do.
The biggest thing you need to remember is to put a directory for your blog to reside, other wise it'll just upload everything to the root(aka before your http folder) and you won't see nothing.
I assume your trying to FTP to your own domain/site?

Well, I'm sure if these guys did it... I should be able to figure it out as well.

Thanks for your help.

:)

image .... DELETED!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
cr2sh said:
Well, I'm sure if these guys did it... I should be able to figure it out as well.

Thanks for your help.

:)

haha is too much to ask that you delete that pic from this board? I agree it's funny but it's a couple of buddies/coworkers and if this ended up on fark or something alike I imagine they'd be a little on the angry side hehe.

Hope you get this working though.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. I'm assuming that you have your own webhosting, your own domain, etc. and you want blogger to ftp out an index.html file?

If so, you just set up your blog with the option to "host on your own server." Then, after it's created, you hit it "Settings" tab in your blog panel. And then in that, you hit that "Publishing" tab. Put in your ftp server, path, and the filename you want it to publish to. Then, if you'd like for it to ftp each post without prompting you for your username and password each time, you can enter your ftp username and password under the query for blog filename and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.