Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok so I wrote my site html with bbedit. I have 5 pages all labeled "example.html" . My domain and host are through godaddy.com. Anyways I go to put the site online and its not working. I tried using cuteftp on a windows machine and it didnt work and I used cyberduck and it didnt work. I get logged in and i see the ftp files that are on the site. There is a sstm folder and a stats folder and another php i believe and a file that says welcome.html. After i upload my folder with the 5 pages I created and try to go to my site it says coming soon and says the owner has not uploaded succesfully. What do I need to do. You guys were a great help last time i apreciate it. Thanks in advance

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Anyone know whats going on. I need to get this site up. I thought it was just to drag and drop your pages into the ftp host. How does it know which page is my home page though?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
make sure your files are in the proper directory, Sometimes if you just ftp directly into the root you're files will end out outside the domain.
For instance when I ftp to dreamhost and look at remote view there is a folder called JasonDorn.com and that's my website. However if I save things outside that folder (in the root) than they do not show up.
The folder could also be called HTTP or something like that.
Make sence?

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
his is a screenshot of what i see when i log my ftp domain in. All it says is to drag my files into the window. Do I need to do anything special to my main page file? How will it know which one is the main page and which other .html files are just the links?

Attachments

• Picture 2-1.jpg
    Picture 2-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 197

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
A home page is usually called "index" or "default" and then whatever suffix you decide to use (.html, .asp. php, etc.). You also might want to check and see what type of file the server recognizes first as an index file. For example, if the server configuration says to look for a .php page first and then a .html page, if you have an index.php and an index.html page both in there it will recognize the index.php page as the home page. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing...

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Yip, make sure that godaddy has made their changes too. They are a real pain to deal w/. Once you change your account, it takes like 3 days to activate and for your FTP to work correctly. I was doing a site for a client, and half of the crap i uploaded, worked, the other didn't. It was a real nightmare, but all straighted out after a few days. Pretty bad on their end to make peeps wait so long if you ask me.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
You guys have been great. I did need to name the homepage index.html. Now my dilema is after I uploaded it to the ftp in IE into the same page as the pic I posted I drag my other .html files in there that I have linked to the navy menu i made but they dont link online. It says server cannot be found.
I have a frame with text in it on the homepage and i upload the frametext.html file and it worked. I then have a picture on my homepage so I uploaded the jpg image by just dragging it from my folder into there and it doesnt show up . More help would be amazing thanks so much.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Are you using relitive links. So in your HTML do you link to the file name(if its in the same folder) or macintosh HD/users/ and so on. you should link to just the file name or if it in a folder the folder then file name. OR the whole URL ie
http://www.mysite.com/picture.jpg

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
trainguy my site is linked to the users/machd/folder name
what are you saying i should do . Lets say my main page is index.html and the page i have linked in the navy menu is book2site.html, what do I need to do ?
I just dragged all 5 of my html files into the main ftp page

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Espnetboy3 said:
trainguy my site is linked to the users/machd/folder name
what are you saying i should do . Lets say my main page is index.html and the page i have linked in the navy menu is book2site.html, what do I need to do ?
I just dragged all 5 of my html files into the main ftp page
You just need to enter book2site.html if it in the same folder. if it is in lets say "links", and index is in the root, then links/book2site.html

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
Ok so my picture and links in my Navy menu work. Only problem now is after you click lets say stories in the navy menu from the main "index" page it brings you to the stories page, although if you hit home or gallery in the navy menu from any page that isnt the index page it doesnt link correctly it says the Ooops thing. What is wrong? Thanks i really apreciate all you guys for sticking with this post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.