Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaisera

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2001
Hey all,

I've got an ibook 600 with combo drive. I've been using FTP to get files to and from it from my PC. It has suddenly stopped working. I have file sharing on and FTP on. All FTPs to it time out. I even formatted and reinstalled the OS. NADA. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks,

kaisera

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
How are these machines connected?

Are these machines connected using a hub? Or are they on separate networks?

Try using the command line of either machine to "ping" the other.

Just type "ping <ip address>" at the command line to "ping" the other machine.

If that works, then the network is up... Have you installed any firewall software that might be blocking port 21? Is it possible that a firewall has been installed on the network that is blocking FTP?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Try a 5 pound sledge hammer.

Better yet, often a PC can be brought into line by applying jumper cables to the frame and processor card then connecting the other end to a Diesel engine's alternator and starting the engine.Done just right a P3 can get some serious air. Kinda like Warthog Jumping!:D

kaisera

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2001
I am running the FTP server on OS X, trying to connect from my PC. The only thing that has changed on my network is that I added a switch to the uplink port of my cable/dsl router to add more ports when I got my G4.

When I ping I get a timed out error. Pinging the G4 works fine.

kaisera

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2001
My G4 cannot FTP to the iBook either. I also turned on Appletalk and the entry for the laptop isn't showing up either.

Its like it can connect to the network but its not seen by the other systems.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
kaisera

Hi Kaisera,

What is the IP address on each machine? Are they being set via DHCP? Or have you set them up separately?

If they don't have the same Netmask, then it's possible that the other machines aren't finding a route to that box.

It's also possible that you've got a flaky hub. Try cycling the power on that baby.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
So...

You have a PC, iBook and G4 all connected to the same switch. The PC can ping the G4 but not the iBook and with file sharing on, the G4 cannot see the iBook.

Is that right?

If so, try getting to the Internet from all 3 systems as a quick check. If the G4 and PC work, but not the iBook, it sounds like the IP config somehow got messed up on the iBook. Are all of your machines getting IP set up dynamically from your router? If some are and some are not, you may have an IP conflict.

You should check the IP config on each of your machines. If they are dynamic from the router, they are most likely 192.168.0.x - x needs to be different for each one. Also, your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I had the same problems last night between my roomates new iBook 600 and my G4. I was on the network, but couldn't be seen by my computer. He had mine ok though...it was really weird. Ummm...it now works, but I have no idea what I did. All I can say is try to make sure (double and triple check) the settings for the AppleTalk and turn on filesharing and stuff.

I HATE NETWORKING!!!! (except for Airport...it's almost too easy.)

-Pete

kaisera

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2001
Well I called Apple about this. 5 minutes into the call I realized that FTP is working but it is hanging for like 20 seconds then connecting. Oh well. They suggested a clean OS install as networking functions could be corrupt.

Thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.