Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
i am having problems connecting to a ftp site. It seems like i can connect fine with OS X (go -> connect to server) and putting in the ftp add. (log / pass) but, when i try to upload something, it says that i cannot modify the folder. wheni get info, i am only allowed to read the files. When i connect to the same site with "cyberduck", the upload goes just fine. What am i doing wrong? This is the first time i'm trying anything like this. I looked at the services panel under sharing and checked the ftp box, but this did not change anything. Any help?

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
that is because, through the finder, you can only browse/download files from an ftp site, you are not able to upload. so in using cyberduck you are doing the right thing. i have tried several ftp programmes and i would say that cyberduck is the best one available, and its free!

so basically, you are doing nothing wrong!!!

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
thanks!

I appreciate the help. Why is there the limitation in the finder?

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Ah! This feature has annoyed me on so many occasions when I've been on a machine without an FTP client installed! I used to think it was just a problem with my host...

I prefer the FTP app Transmit. In all my experience using them, this is the most reliable, friendly and feature-packed one around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.