Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
the benefit of UNIX is that you already can ftp from inside the terminal.

just type ftp servername and it should go for you. I am not the best with UNIX though, so I would recommend asking someone who knows.

-pete

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Web Browser.

If you are just browsing to download items from an ftp server, you can just use your web browser. I just use IE for most stuff. If I need to upload something, I use the command line.

I used to use transmit. It seemed pretty nice.

Matthew

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
You have to use the terminal (Apps>Utilities>Terminal). The best thing to do is type "man ftp". That will give you the manual for the ftp app.

Basically, just type "ftp http://www.servername.com" and then you will be asked for your log/pass.

If you've never used unix before, navigation can be tricky...
"ls" lists all the files and folders in the current folder,
"cd dirname" will move you to the folder called "dirname",
"cd .." will take you back a directory,
"get filename" will download the file called filename, and
"put filenamepath" will upload the file at whatever path you put into the current directory.

Like I said, it's hard if you've never used Unix before.

My suggestion is "NetFinder". It's Mac-like, so it's easy to use.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by imspace2
Could someone please elaborate on that command-line ftp?

Ok... if you want to ftp to a machine this is what you would do at command line:

first cd to the dirctory that you want to be in on your local Mac

#cd /evildeads/files

then do the ftp command

# ftp evildeadsmac.com
or
# ftp 255.255.255.255 (the IP adress)

the you can cd to the directory on the host machine that you want to be in and do a

ftp> get fileName
or a
ftp>put fileName

to get the file from the directory of the host machine that you are currently logged into or put a file to that host directory from the local directroy that you origionaly ftped from.

to quit out of ftp you do a

ftp> bye

to set the mode to binary transfer to a

ftp> bin

you may want to use the command ls to veiw the files in the current directory

#ls

you may also want to read the man pages about ftp for more info. do a:

#man ftp

then just hit the space bar to scrole down the page.

you can use man to read about the other commands i talked about like cd and ls to find out more about them too.

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
"captain ftp" from versiontracker.com works pretty well, and its free. OS X compatible, giddeyyup :)

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
FTP from the Finder

i read (from the os x missing manual book) that you can actually access ftp sites to upload/download straight from the finder using the "connect to server" command. I've tried it forever but could not get it to work, resulting in only error messages. can anyone please enlighten on this? Whoever can figure this out is the smartest person alive.

-and those who do have the book, it states it on pg. 505

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.