Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JL7

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
What car care/fuel mileage app are you using? and what's your experience

I am trying to decide which is best for me. I am currently tracking fuel milage on paper, and like some of the statistics provided by these apps.

Thanks;)

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I need a little advice with this also, what do you guys think is the best one on the App Store? My SUV gets 12 mpg so I'll be using it a lot lol. AccuFuel looks nice but a reviewer said you cant have multiple fill ups on the same day? Thats kinda gay

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I'd like to know also! Seems some of them are almost too basic to cost even $0.99. AccuFuel looks the prettiest, though it would be nice to have oil change reminders...

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
I just bought the car care app. It seems good, I bought that one because it does more than fuel mileage. It also can track more than one car and give you reminders about oil changes and other maintenance things. It was one of the most expensive but I haven't paid for any others yet. It was $4.99

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm using GasHog, and dig it. Very simple. Just fuel mileage. Enter the odometer reading and gallons added, and you're all set.

The only problem is that you can't edit entires (mistakes), and there is no real way of accounting for skipped fill-ups, other than deleting everything and starting over.

I just bought the car care app. It seems good, I bought that one because it does more than fuel mileage. It also can track more than one car and give you reminders about oil changes and other maintenance things. It was one of the most expensive but I haven't paid for any others yet. It was $4.99

I've been wondering about this one. Does it connect to some kind of database and customize the maintenance schedule for different kinds of cars, or is it pretty generic?

Thanks.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
CarStat looks good, although I haven't put any fuel numbers in it. I used a Web App before that went by the trip odometer instead of the overall miles on your car, so I've gotta convert that before entering 3 months of info in there.

But I got my tires changed, so I put that info in there. I'm able to edit everything about the entry (which I couldn't do with the Web App).

CarStat will also compute a few numbers for you: overall miles per gallon, money spent, miles traveled, and gas data (average, high, and low price).

Hope that helps. I gotta fill up today so I'll be finding out the deal myself.

aridon

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
We use a spread sheet for this. Easier to customize exactly what you want, no limitations and free.

You can pick up a free microsoft office style program at http://www.openoffice.org.

Simply an outstanding program and just about as good as office.

fsartono

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
I've tried GasHog, CarStat, and AccuFuel and I'd say AccuFuel is the best looking (love the summary chart page), easiest to use (love the type of car selection and data entry).

I'd like to see the following features in the next AccuFuel version:
- Field to enter brand of fuel (ie Shell, Esso, etc.)
- Field to enter type of fuel (ie Shell F95, Shell F98, Esso 5000, 8000, etc.)
- Field to enter driving mode (mostly city, mostly highway, etc.)

Then I'd like to see another summary page that has pre-summarized info such as:
- Your most fuel efficient fuel is Shell F98 (for example)
- In the city, your average mileage is ...
- On the highway, your average mileage is ...
- In the last month you have spent $XX on fuel
- Your average monthly fuel consumption is $xx
- Your average monthly distance is yy-km

ps/ I've written this to the developers by the way :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
ps/ I've written this to the developers by the way :)
Very nice. :) I'd enjoy such features if they add any of them.

I ended up getting AccuFuel as well, the price was right and it's definitely the most attractive. It's simple enough to add a new fillup. At least, it's able to replace the pen and paper method.

We use a spread sheet for this. Easier to customize exactly what you want, no limitations and free.
Irrelevant, since I want to enter information while I'm still at the pump, as conveniently as possible.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Does AccuFuel let you edit previous entries?

I'm coming from years of using JMileage on the Palm OS, which I liked. It was simple and did what it was supposed to.

I tried Miley, but I was so not impressed. It didn't even have a date tracker. :confused: I got rid of that one fast.

I like your ideas, too, fsartono, but for now I'd settle for an app that I can edit, see dates and prices, and a couple of charts.

trentiles

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Washington DC
I have Accufuel and put in my first entry sometime last week.

Now today I need to get gas and was curious to see how long this last tank lasted me. So I opened Accufuel and went to find the date that I last got gas. As far as I can tell there is no way to find this information, which I think sucks.

Maybe I'm missing something but I clicked on everything in the app.

Because of this I will be looking for a new mpg app that can tell me more info.

Accufuel does not let you edit previous entries. I can't even figure out how to see the data I last input, except for the MPG. YOu can't see the date, price of gas, how many miles you got to that tank.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Okay, I read through the reviews, and a couple mentioned editing older entries, so I took the chance and got it. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Some more features would be good, but it's good as it is too. I just input from December 2007 through today, so I could see the graph features and get a sort of a baseline for my car.

Yes, you can edit older entries. I'll post some screen shots, because I see dates, and mileage too. :confused:

BRB.

Okay, here they are.

Edit again: I see you found them. :) Well, I hope the screen shots help someone else make a decision. I'm liking it.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    51.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    41.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0004.PNG
    IMG_0004.PNG
    36 KB · Views: 66

trentiles

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Washington DC
Okay, I read through the reviews, and a couple mentioned editing older entries, so I took the chance and got it. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Some more features would be good, but it's good as it is too. I just input from December 2007 through today, so I could see the graph features and get a sort of a baseline for my car.

Yes, you can edit older entries. I'll post some screen shots, because I see dates, and mileage too. :confused:

BRB.

Doh I found the screen that shows past entries.

fsartono

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2007
Does AccuFuel let you edit previous entries?

I'm coming from years of using JMileage on the Palm OS, which I liked. It was simple and did what it was supposed to.

I tried Miley, but I was so not impressed. It didn't even have a date tracker. :confused: I got rid of that one fast.

I like your ideas, too, fsartono, but for now I'd settle for an app that I can edit, see dates and prices, and a couple of charts.

Hi Ntombi - yes you can edit your past entries .. :)

btw, the developers of AccuFuel replied my list of suggestion email today and said they were working on some of the features I mentioned. :)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
How did you get the mileage entry to be odometer? Mine is on trip miles and I can't figure out how to change it. I would rather input the odometer reading.
When you first add a car, you can choose odometer or trip odometer (and gallons vs. liters). The catch is that you can't change it later. You will probably have to enter a new car and start over, re-inputting the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.