Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
Has anyone tried ML on a multi-monitor set up? Lots of UX issues to overcome, but having 24" of linen texture seems a wasted opportunity.

Not related to multi-monitors, but Mail is very hard to read on a 27" monitor, line length is crazy. I’ve alleviated it a bit by extending the other panes.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
Has anyone tried ML on a multi-monitor set up? Lots of UX issues to overcome, but having 24" of linen texture seems a wasted opportunity.

Not related to multi-monitors, but Mail is very hard to read on a 27" monitor, line length is crazy. I’ve alleviated it a bit by extending the other panes.

yup, using 2 thunderbolt displays here... same ol' **** as 10.7.... apple has really dropped the ball on this one imo...

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
As much as I've enjoyed the changes they've brought with Mountain Lion the lack of fix for dual monitor support is my greatest disappointment so far. It seems like there is the potential to do a lot of cool things by integrating full-screen apps, Spaces, and multidisplay setups. I don't understand how they settled on disabling the second as their desired function. It's just baffling to me.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
As much as I've enjoyed the changes they've brought with Mountain Lion the lack of fix for dual monitor support is my greatest disappointment so far. It seems like there is the potential to do a lot of cool things by integrating full-screen apps, Spaces, and multidisplay setups. I don't understand how they settled on disabling the second as their desired function. It's just baffling to me.

The real problem is Lion's Full-screen mode. Since it creates a new Space without a desktop beneath it, only the apps that can have multiple windows in Full-Screen mode can use the 2nd monitor.

Apple need to just abandon Lion's Full-screen and Spaces system in favor of SL's, or at least give the users the option.

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011

That's because full screen is optimized for smaller displays. I guess Apple didn't mean for it to be used on big screens or with multiple monitor setups, and you're not really losing anything if you don't (with the exception of QuickTime Player).

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple need to just abandon Lion's Full-screen and Spaces system in favor of SL's, or at least give the users the option.

Full screen can still be implemented the old way by developers. Nothing forces them to use Lion's fullscreen API.

Or you know, you can just keep your stuff windowed when working with 2 monitors, I frankly only find Full screen useful when working on my dinky laptop monitor, not on my 23" external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.