Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2002
New England
Well I switched to an iPad Pro full time . So far I’m disappointed in 2 things

1. ApparentlyApple did away with the split keyboard for the iPad pro .They do have the floating keyboard, which is cool too

2 looks like I can’t use my current printer I have. I even tried connecting the printer directly into theUSB-c port with no luck . Looks like I have to buy an AirPrint pribter

what AirPrint printer do you use ?

mikedude86

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
I use a super cheap HP Inkjet I randomly picked up at walmart, it’s WiFi enabled and I can print from all of my devices including iPP. I think any WiFi enabled printer should work.

Reactions: DoubleFlyaway

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
If you don’t need color printing, a $70 brother black and white laser printer with airprint was the best investment I’ve made. Much less frustrating than traditional inkjet. Cheaper, and reliable to boot, prints well via AirPrint

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you don’t need color printing, a $70 brother black and white laser printer with airprint was the best investment I’ve made. Much less frustrating than traditional inkjet. Cheaper, and reliable to boot, prints well via AirPrint
Agreed on laser. The toners last much longer than ink.

I think I bought my Brother color laser printer for $150 on sale. The toners would probably cost as much but with my light usage, I still haven’t needed to replace them even after more than 2 years.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would call your disappointments minor. The first disappontment is understandable for a niche group of people. As to the second disappointment, that is on you for not doing your research ahead of time. Overall, it appears you are doing well with an iPad only environment.

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Well I switched to an iPad Pro full time . So far I’m disappointed in 2 things

1. ApparentlyApple did away with the split keyboard for the iPad pro .They do have the floating keyboard, which is cool too

2 looks like I can’t use my current printer I have. I even tried connecting the printer directly into theUSB-c port with no luck . Looks like I have to buy an AirPrint pribter

Which iPad Pro?
Mine still seems to have it.

Attachments

• 2818FE4D-FF4D-494E-9278-8AF76EDB5549.png
    2818FE4D-FF4D-494E-9278-8AF76EDB5549.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 202

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I have a Canon air print printer and it works just fine with my iPad Pro. Sometimes as with mine in the beginning, it was a chore to get it to recognize my iPad Pro, so you may have to do a little work to get it going. Just a thought

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Download AirPrint on Windows. It’s a cheap software. Turns any Printer to work with iOS devices.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I've been using the same HP Envy printer for years. It's Airprint, easy to set up and works wonderfully for printing from my iPP and my phone (as well as my iMac). I also use HP's Instant Ink. I pay a small monthly fee for printing and ink cartridges are mailed to me whenever they need replacing. I've saved a TON of money on ink and a TON of time shopping for ink cartridges.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Which Printer do you have? I think all the ones made in the last 5-7 years build to work with Wifi and iOS devices. There is also an app called Printer Pro from Readler that is supposedly makes any printer works with iOS devices.

I will be honest, I don't know what Airprint is, my Wifi printer works with any devices that has a Wifi. Mac, iOS, Android, TV...I don't know what Airprint does.

I have a Canon air print printer and it works just fine with my iPad Pro. Sometimes as with mine in the beginning, it was a chore to get it to recognize my iPad Pro, so you may have to do a little work to get it going. Just a thought

I would love to hear from you what you think of it, I am tired of HP and Epson issues, is it ink or laser? Does it give you problems? Compatibility with devices? Output quality? ink prices? Which model is it?

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003

As others mentioned, most modern Wifi printers support AirPrint. But if for some reason you really like your current printer and would like to keep on using it, you can use a $10 Raspberry Pi zero to act as an AirPrint server and make it possible to print from your iPad to your existing printer. (This is what I do, btw, since I like my old but perfectly functional laser printer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.