Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I think there’s a fundamental misunderstanding of what AVP is.

So many reviewers are making comparisons to other headsets like Oculus or PSVR. And in my ways, I don’t think that’s a relevant comparison. Sure some of the technology has parallels, but the purpose of AVP is very different.

Here’s a tangible examples of what I was doing last night. My cat was in a mood to play with me and some toys last night. I had a YouTube video playing via Juno (first party app not available yet) and placed it right next to our play area so I can see her and the video at the same time. In other adjacent areas, I had messages open to check some things and a browser in another area for an article I was reading. No monitor, no device to hold, and hands free.

Yes it’s a great media consumption device with amazing immersion. It can do a lot of things. The true power though IMO is it’s actually a computer with the ability to multitask without the constraint of one screen like an iPad. There’s a lot of improvements to be made for sure. But I think it’s an amazing gen 1, and I’m sure they will make lots of software improvements even in the next 3-6 months.

What are your thoughts?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
My cat was in a mood to play with me and some toys last night. I had a YouTube video playing via Juno (first party app not available yet) and placed it right next to our play area so I can see her and the video at the same time.

So you weren't really focused on the cat or the video?
Just fully distracted at all times?

I had messages open to check some things and a browser in another area for an article I was reading. No monitor, no device to hold, and hands free.

You sure did have a monitor - two of them, right on your face.
When I'm using a laptop or desktop, I also don't have to hold the monitor and my hands are free, aren't yours?

Last edited:

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So far I have seen comparisons to those other headset only to compare technology, not use case. For example pass-through quality, weight, comfort. You have to have some point of reference to make a review, there is no other "Spatial Computing" device out there to compare the use case with.

Like iPad and Apple Watch, I think the true and complete use case will be determined with time. Like how Apple Watch turned into a health device and iPad gained proper keyboard and pencil support along with split screen apps. Just examples.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I work from home with three monitors on my desk. I need all the physical screen real estate to do my job - which means I’m tied to my desk, sitting, all day.

I can’t see AVP replacing my setup 8 hrs a day, every day, but it would be good to be able to stand up every so often to work (I don’t have an adjustable standing desk). It would also be great to be free to take meetings outside when the weather is nice and have all my screens with me.

That‘s what primarily interests me about AVP. Gaming not at all.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
So far I have seen comparisons to those other headset only to compare technology, not use case. For example pass-through quality, weight, comfort. You have to have some point of reference to make a review, there is no other "Spatial Computing" device out there to compare the use case with.

Like iPad and Apple Watch, I think the true and complete use case will be determined with time. Like how Apple Watch turned into a health device and iPad gained proper keyboard and pencil support along with split screen apps. Just examples.
No the Apple Watch and iPad use cases were pretty well defined from the get go, health was definitely a part of it in the beginning but they concentrated more on the fashion aspect of it at first. With iPad it was about superior content consumption (books, sites, video, etc)

The AVP is a product in search of a problem that doesn't actually exist for anyone.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
I totally agree. The AVP is in a category all of it's own. For me, it's all about capturing those special moments with the iPhone 15 Pro (or AVP for the adventerous) and replaying them as if you are right there in the scene. It's about placing those kitchen timers above the simmering dishes. It's about improving one's stenciling skills through overlays. It's incredible. And of course, it's an amazing movie theater. It's not a gaming device, or metaworld-device. I wouldn't even call it a computer. It's more than that. It's the future.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I totally agree. The AVP is in a category all of it's own. For me, it's all about capturing those special moments with the iPhone 15 Pro (or AVP for the adventerous) and replaying them as if you are right there in the scene. It's about placing those kitchen timers above the simmering dishes. It's about improving one's stenciling skills through overlays. It's incredible. And of course, it's an amazing movie theater. It's not a gaming device, or metaworld-device. I wouldn't even call it a computer. It's more than that. It's the future.
Lol once again, all of those things can be done in some form for $2500 less! Seriously, do people even look at other headsets or just think Apple invented all of this stuff?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Have you thought of getting one?
You get the nicest one on the planet and still save $2500
I’ve thought about it many times, but I have a nice huge expensive desk and other office furniture that was bought before standing desks were a thing. I could probably retrofit it, or rework it, or replace a part of it, but that’s not going to be cheap.

Plus, I’m still tied to the desk and it‘s large monitors.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
It's about placing those kitchen timers above the simmering dishes

And here I've just been sticking a couple $5 timers magnetically to the fume hood above each burner so I know which pot or pan it's for. Little trick I learned like 35 years-ish years ago when I worked my first job as a line cook in a family restaurant. Good to know I can do the same thing "in the future" for only $3490 more.

I mean, more power to anyone who finds value in their AVP purchase. I'm not here to tell you otherwise. Fun to read about everyone's experiences, and I would like to try one out in an Apple Store demo. But the maudlin, invented futurism nonsense is just such utter hogwash. What the hell is it about us Apple users that we get so wrapped up in Apple's marketing puffery?

Last edited:

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
And here I've just been sticking a couple $5 timers magnetically to the fume hood above each burner so I know which pot or plan it relates to. Little trick I learned like 40 years ago when I worked my first job as a cook in a family restaurant. Good to know I can do the same thing "in the future" for only $3490 more.

I mean, more power to anyone who finds value in their AVP purchase. I'm not here to tell you otherwise. But the maudlin, invented futurism nonsense is just such hogwash.
+tax+ $500 AppleCare+a $200 case that they had the nerve not to include

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Also, I’m not gonna hate on the haters here… But seriously, you need to try this out in your house to really get it.

I'm sure it's a really amazing device. I remember taking the original iPhone out of its box for the first time and thinking, "wow, this is really cool." But I'm never going to gush like a 13 year old at a Taylor Swift concert about any piece of technology. That's just so weird to me. Either it fulfills a practical need or it doesn't, but all this emotion is just so creepy.

Isn't it amazing?

Pathetic is more the word I would use. Marketing is such a dangerous manipulation and Apple is an absolute master of it.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
The latter

I have several friends who had been asking me about AVP and they honestly hadn't ever looked into or tried any other VR/AR device of any kind.
Yeah I've suspected as much. Don't get me wrong I love Apple and I have been a huge fanboy since I bought my first Mac in 2003 with money I got bailing hay, cutting tobacco, and being a stock boy when I was a kid, which that Mac actually made me a lot of money and opened me up to all kinds of new experiences, but I'm older now and I've played with everything else. Meta 2, 3, Quest, PSVR1, 2, Vive, etc. All pretty neat in their own right but you use those things with the understanding that they are still kind of a niche hobbyist product. I really don't see this as being much different just targeting a different kind of hobbyist.

Really if I were to say something about a lot of the fanboying on this, as Steve Jobs would say, they are acting like total bozos. I like to think of myself as an Apple fanboy that holds Apple up to a much, much higher standard and this product at the current time does not meet that standard.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Really if I were to say something about a lot of the fanboying on this, as Steve Jobs would say, they are acting like total bozos. I like to think of myself as an Apple fanboy that holds Apple up to a much, much higher standard and this product at the current time does not meet that standard.

You bring up a great point. The bar for what is actually "amazing" and "life changing" and "revolutionary" seems to have simply gotten too low.

Apple is so much just "hype" now

It's like vast swaths of the tech industry (and society) are just in "fake it until you maybe make it" mode.

Adamhwi

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2021

So many reviewers are making comparisons to other headsets like Oculus or PSVR. And in my ways, I don’t think that’s a relevant comparison. Sure some of the technology has parallels, but the purpose of AVP is very different.

Here’s a tangible examples of what I was doing last night. My cat was in a mood to play with me and some toys last night. I had a YouTube video playing via Juno (first party app not available yet) and placed it right next to our play area so I can see her and the video at the same time. In other adjacent areas, I had messages open to check some things and a browser in another area for an article I was reading. No monitor, no device to hold, and hands free.

Yes it’s a great media consumption device with amazing immersion. It can do a lot of things. The true power though IMO is it’s actually a computer with the ability to multitask without the constraint of one screen like an iPad. There’s a lot of improvements to be made for sure. But I think it’s an amazing gen 1, and I’m sure they will make lots of software improvements even in the next 3-6 months.

What are your thoughts?
How’s the field of view? I work from home and find myself quite bored and uninterested in my work environment being that I live in Wisconsin and am more or less stuck inside for half the year unless I want to bundle up with multiple layers and it’s still cold as heck.

My thought was using it for the environments so I can work in a nice warm setting and maybe trick my brain lol. I read the FOV is low to average, but how well does your brain get tricked into feeling like you’re there?? Thanks!

TheRoxyTheatre

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022

What are your thoughts?

To each their own.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I live in Wisconsin and am more or less stuck inside for half the year unless I want to bundle up with multiple layers and it’s still cold as heck.

As someone who grew up in Wisconsin, and once I left have never even considered going back, I totally feel your pain. The six months of winter is just brutal. Maybe that's the magic sauce of the AVP? For Up North™ residents to throw their Zoom and Excel windows up over an immersive display of spatial tropical splendor. ;)

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

What are your thoughts?
You fundamentally don’t understand that your hands were free, but you had an helmet on your head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.