Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I showed a neighbor how an AirTag on my keys help me locate my keys every time I tend to misplace them. She then asked me, if there was a way that I could add an AirTag to the case of her iPhone to help her locate her phone because she was always misplacing it.

It’s just a reminder that lots of people don’t understand the technology they already own.

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
So I assume you explained that you can already locte your phone and how airtags work... I find it very normal that most people own things that they do not fully understand. I guarantee you that most car owners do not know how the car works or all its features... same goes for all household appliances and computers, tv's etc etc etc...

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
So I assume you explained that you can already locte your phone and how airtags work... I find it very normal that most people own things that they do not fully understand. I guarantee you that most car owners do not know how the car works or all its features... same goes for all household appliances and computers, tv's etc etc etc...
Yes, I showed her it was a capability she already had.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
should tell her about the Apple Watch,

There's a button on the watch that makes your phone make noise,

and if you have the current phone and watch, it will pop up a display with the distance to your phone, as well as the direction it's in.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
I showed a neighbor how an AirTag on my keys help me locate my keys every time I tend to misplace them. She then asked me, if there was a way that I could add an AirTag to the case of her iPhone to help her locate her phone because she was always misplacing it.

It’s just a reminder that lots of people don’t understand the technology they already own.
Time to sell her a new apple watch now :p

Now you know how Steve Jobs felt when he was trying to sell the Apple 1 and get investors...
Yes its like a typewriter but for your TV... :p

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Talking about misunderstanding here in Finland newspaper says that Airtag is made for prevent car thefts: https://www.iltalehti.fi/autouutiset/a/ec5e9da6-62f3-4af1-a0c7-aa7673693699
Washington DC Mayor's office advises Airtags, even giving some away to residents!

johnb300m

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
oldies.jpg

"Why the hell do I have to keep updating my apps on my iPhone all the time and why you don't fix that?"

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada

So I guess the concept of needing her phone to locate the AirTag on her phone never occurred to her?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
So I guess the concept of needing her phone to locate the AirTag on her phone never occurred to her?
To be fair, some other tracking products (like Tile) allow you to tap a button on the paired tracker to locate the phone while in range.

It's a shame Airtags cannot do this. I love Airtags but the exclusion of this feature was a miss by Apple.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
When my iPhone 15 Pro constantly tells me that my AirPods Pro (gen 1) have been "left behind" while still in my pocket, I feel like the fundamental misunderstanding is somewhere at Apple.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JoJoe2k and Toutou

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
To be fair, some other tracking products (like Tile) allow you to tap a button on the paired tracker to locate the phone while in range.

It's a shame Airtags cannot do this. I love Airtags but the exclusion of this feature was a miss by Apple.
That's what the watch is for

and if you've got a series 9, you get precision finding for the phone also. (might need a 15 for this to work, not sure)

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
That's what the watch is for

and if you've got a series 9, you get precision finding for the phone also. (might need a 15 for this to work, not sure)
That'd be like Tile saying 'just buy/wear a Tile watch'. The Watch could do precision finding and thats great, but the Airtag could also easily have a way to activate the ringer on the phone as well.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I won't embarrass myself by saying how many years I used my iMac before discovering there was an open USB-A port at the end of the keyboard.... 😕
not sure what that has to do with this thread but okay

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I won't embarrass myself by saying how many years I used my iMac before discovering there was an open USB-A port at the end of the keyboard.... 😕
I hear you.

I have similar tales (not with an iMac, as I have never owned one, but with other assorted tech marvels).
not sure what that has to do with this thread but okay
As @Chuckeee has observed, it is an example (and a very good one) of how many people do not fully understand (or recognise) the technology that they already own.

Given how vague the actual thread title actually is, it seems to me that it would be a shame to seek to confine this discussion to the topic of AirTags.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I hear you.

I have similar tales (not with an iMac, as I have never owned one, but with other assorted tech marvels).

As @Chuckeee has observed, it is an example (and a very good one) of how many people do not fully understand (or recognise) the technology that they already own.

Given how vague the actual thread title actually is, it seems to me that it would be a shame to seek to confine this discussion to the topic of AirTags.
I could agree if this wasn't posted under the AirTags section of the forum, clearly delineating the context, despite the lacking title.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I could agree if this wasn't posted under the AirTags section of the forum, clearly delineating the context, despite the lacking title.
The thread title was what caught my attention, in the forum side-bar, - and was what I clicked on - not the section of the forum, which I hadn't even noticed.

However, unless the OP wishes (or chooses) to amend the thread title, - and it is for the OP to determine the nature - and extent - of the discussion - to make it quite clear that the thread (notwithstanding the vague and imprecise title) is supposed to be confined to the actual topic of AirTags, I shall follow the lead of other posters in the direction the conversation has taken, which, for now, is no longer confined to the specific topic of AirTags, but has broadened to include the subject of how people may not fully understand the tech that they own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
The thread title was what caught my attention, in the forum side-bar, - and was what I clicked on - not the section of the forum, which I hadn't even noticed.

However, unless the OP wishes (or chooses) to amend the thread title, - and it is for the OP to determine the nature - and extent - of the discussion - to make it quite clear that the thread (notwithstanding the vague and imprecise title) is supposed to be confined to the actual topic of AirTags, I shall follow the lead of other posters in the direction the conversation has taken, which, for now, is no longer confined to the specific topic of AirTags.
If we take this a tiny step further we can discuss anything in the observable universe!

• Haha
Reactions: johnmacward

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If we take this a tiny step further we can discuss anything in the observable universe!
But, of course.

Moreover, to reiterate what I have already written - to my mind, it is for the OP, @Chuckeee, to signal that the thread discussion is confined to the topic of AirTags (which, should he or she choose to do so, I would immediately respect, adhere to and abide by), - but which is not at all clear, given the nebulous thread title - and not - with respect - for you to determine how best to police the discussion.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
But, of course.

Moreover, to reiterate what I have already written - to my mind, it is for the OP, @Chuckeee, to signal that the thread discussion is confined to the topic of AirTags (which, should he or she choose to do so, I would immediately respect, adhere to and abide by), - but which is not at all clear, given the nebulous thread title - and not - with respect - for you to determine how best to police the discussion.

Good idea, I'm with ya!

Anyone know anything about Thermodynamics?

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
My intention was that this since this is an Apple related site, I was raising the topic of how often individuals do not understand the capabilities of Apple devices. With an example of how AirTag functions is already an inherent function of many other Apple products. And since this example was based on the primary function of AirTag, I considered putting it in the AirTag section to be appropriate. Specifically since someone who owned AirTag would understand the irony of the situation.
won't embarrass myself by saying how many years I used my iMac before discovering there was an open USB-A port at the end of the keyboard.... 😕
This is an excellent example the same of being surprised by the technology we already own, but just in case you didn’t notice, there are open USB-A ports on BOTH sides of many wired Apple Keyboards
😮

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.