Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooperman1205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
Hi i have a macpro 6.1 which i use Mainly as a windows 11 machine, the internal drive has been changed to a 1TB nvme ssd, with adapter, i bought it off e-bay and prior to me had never been touched (internals), it was sold because it kept getting to hot, on inspection i found it was full of dust and the fan could bearly movei took it apart and cleaned it but on the gpu which the ssd is attached the 2 screws on the bottom left (if upside down) that hold the power cables (see ifix it) have a small type of pin in the middle of them so a solid torx 8 cant get in, the other gpu was fine took it off redid the paste works great, (by the way i game on this mac dcs, flightsim call of duty, sniper, Battlefield thay all run fantasticley within the heat threshold, and with AMD Crossfire, (2x d700) you have to use bootcampdrivers.com) is there a hollow torx screwdriver?

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
That sounds like a security screw. I-Fixit sells a a good quality tool kit that includes bits for some security screws. I bought mine at Best Buy, but my closest store only had the bigger kit. The cover on the kit shows all the bits included so you can verify it has the bit you need before purchasing.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
You need these secure torx bits (w/ holes in the middle) to unscrew them.

1712339002207.png

The iFixit pro toolkit does include the ones you need. But you may also buy cheaper ones from local hardware stores (HomeDepot maybe).

1712339275338.png

Attachments

• 1712339124158.png
    1712339124158.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
This is prolly the longest sentence I read in my life.

Would you mind format your question and make it human readable?

But anyway, search for safety torx.

I don't know why but I burst out laughing reading that and am still giggling. Oh my. Thank you for that good humor.

Cooperman1205

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
This is prolly the longest sentence I read in my life.

Would you mind format your question and make it human readable?

But anyway, search for safety torx.
Hi sorry not new to macs but to this forum and i thought i would explain myself, point taken thank you

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I don't know why but I burst out laughing reading that and am still giggling. Oh my. Thank you for that good humor.
Tbh that was not that much humor. Its a wall of text without structure.

As a non native english speaker that is hard to read. Without a reason.

I guess, it was generated from dictation. I hope no native english speaker writes that way.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.