Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I was over looking and playing around with the iMacs when a father and his two daughters come in. They are clearly looking for a new computer. The one daughter was trying so hard to convince her dad that Mac was the way to go telling him all about the graphical work they are capable of. And right at the end these are the words that come out of the dad's mouth:

"Yes, but nobody buys Mac. So why should we?" I just started laughing and they looked over at me so I shut up ;)

Macs are the way to go :D

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I work at Best Buy, and I hear that kind of thing a lot.

"I'm looking for a computer that's easy to use, I don't need a Mac"

I can usually at least give them a tour of OS X and explain the differences to them, but when someone comes in expecting to spend $650 on a PC package deal, they don't react well to the price of the iMac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I can usually at least give them a tour of OS X and explain the differences to them, but when someone comes in expecting to spend $650 on a PC package deal, they don't react well to the price of the iMac.

I feel bad about it...okay, I don't... but I'm not particularly sorry to lose such individuals from the family... :(

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well I guess we are just smarter than those PC users :p oh and I have a question.

Do you get in trouble if you spend more time showing them a Mac compared to a PC? And do the customers get pissed off when you try to show them OSX?

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
I would love to know why people seem to have this obsesson that macs are terrible, macs are great macines, if only they would at leest try them.

popelife

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
I would love to know why people seem to have this obsesson that macs are terrible, macs are great macines, if only they would at leest try them.

Seems to me there are two reasons:

1) Apple-haters are incredibly vocal, yet surprisingly influential. Buyers seem to take more notice of people who say something is rubbish than people who say something is great.

2) Uneducated buyers worry that it's VHS v Beta all over again, and choose the one everyone else bought, even if it's not very good. Self-perpetuating mediocrity. Maybe they don't realise that, thanks to Boot Camp, you can have your cake and eat it.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
I once heard some lady at Futureshop say "I would never buy a Mac, they're so different."

...And so are PC's.. :confused:

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
People basically don't like paying for things... quality always loses out to quantity when it comes to the unwashed masses. Of course its different when you are rich.

Some people do it with computers others do it with food. Its all relative but I don't think all these people are stupid either.

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
People basically don't like paying for things... quality always loses out to quantity when it comes to the unwashed masses. Of course its different when you are rich.

Some people do it with computers others do it with food. Its all relative but I don't think all these people are stupid either.

I wish at the stores they'd tack onto the price tags of PC's the cost of anti-spyware software, anti-virus software, media software similar to iLife, and average cost of repairs. Then we could see what's more expensive. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.