Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I moved from a Macbook Air Rev b running leopard, fusion 2.0 and win xpro working well together. After Apple replaced my MacBook Air with a new one running Snow Leopard I upgraded to 2.06 and tried to install XP pro. The install disc I used is an iso and worked find before, brand new copy only used once to install to my last macbook. Now I can't get Fusion to recognize the disc, get the "no bootable device is found" error. I have searched and tried a couple of things but no go, using disc utility to make a .cdr and rename it as an iso folder no good. Also tweaked the settings to see the Superdrive but still no luck. I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.06 but here I am asking for some guidance, any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,

lgmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
US
After upgrade everything works

I upgraded (not a clean install) to SL. After the install I deleted an old copy of XP, and installed a fresh copy with all the software I use. I didn't have any trouble.

What happens when you fire up Fusion, then click on file > new? You should get an install wizard that will walk you through the install process at this point.

You should be able to install from a Windows CD/DVD, or from an iso (although you will have to point the install wizard to the iso file). I think the default action is to look for the install OS in the CD/DVD drive.

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I upgraded (not a clean install) to SL. After the install I deleted an old copy of XP, and installed a fresh copy with all the software I use. I didn't have any trouble.

What happens when you fire up Fusion, then click on file > new? You should get an install wizard that will walk you through the install process at this point.

You should be able to install from a Windows CD/DVD, or from an iso (although you will have to point the install wizard to the iso file). I think the default action is to look for the install OS in the CD/DVD drive.

I have done all of that and went through the wizard pointing the location of the iso file and I keep getting "no bootable device was detected". I've tried to install from a Superdrive as well as from the desktop. No go.
Thanks for responding.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Macbook Air and Virtual machines

How well does virtualization run on your Macbook Air? I'm especially interested in finding out on all models including the new one with the 9400M video graphics.

dwmreg

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Ram

So if you give the emulated OS more than 1 GB you experience problems on the Macbook Air? I'd imagine so since you'd kill of memory for the OS and the video card huh? The whole idea of shared ram with the video card isn't very exciting. ugh.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
So if you give the emulated OS more than 1 GB you experience problems on the Macbook Air? I'd imagine so since you'd kill of memory for the OS and the video card huh? The whole idea of shared ram with the video card isn't very exciting. ugh.

No... It doesn't matter with the Air or any other laptops. Having only 2GB is limiting. If you dedicate 1GB to the Guest, you're left with 768MB for OSX. The 256MB is always taken no matter what, in fact, the MacBook Pros with the dual video card also have 256MB of ram taken regardless if you're using the 9400M or 9600GT.

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Problem solved. Uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion 2.06, used the Superdrive to install XP and all is well. No problems running XP. Memory drain isn't noticeable so far, I think it's running smoother than with my B.

Unrelated but the WiFi range is considerably better with the Rev C.
Thanks for the help.

JTMav

urahoho

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
I have a question, when you run vmc fusion, how much space did XP take up? Did you custom install so that it only uses minimal amount of space on your MBA?

I just got the 126 SSD model and was wondering if i need to partition my hdd when i use fusion and how much space I was going to lose from windows?

thanks

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Problem solved. Uninstalled and reinstalled Fusion 2.06, used the Superdrive to install XP and all is well. No problems running XP. Memory drain isn't noticeable so far, I think it's running smoother than with my B.

Unrelated but the WiFi range is considerably better with the Rev C.
Thanks for the help.

JTMav

Would you mind sharing your free memory in istat with just the vmware running. I am having difficulty with it only having 20 mb available, with nothing else open. I have 762mb given to VM.

thx.

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Would you mind sharing your free memory in istat with just the vmware running. I am having difficulty with it only having 20 mb available, with nothing else open. I have 762mb given to VM.

thx.

With just Fusion running XP Pro I have 79mb free according to iStat.

JTMav

jtmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I have a question, when you run vmc fusion, how much space did XP take up? Did you custom install so that it only uses minimal amount of space on your MBA?

I just got the 126 SSD model and was wondering if i need to partition my hdd when i use fusion and how much space I was going to lose from windows?

thanks

Not sure if this is correct but according to Disc Utility Fusion is taking up 208 mb when mounted. I did not do a custom install.

I have a rev C with 128 ssd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.