Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meegosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Where should i install software, how is it works Fusion drive? 24 GB and 1 TB?
After one day SSD 24GB is almost full...

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Fusion Drive automatically moves things between the two. You don't need to worry about doing anything.

As it's set up as a Fusion Drive, it should show as one logical volume (basically, a 1TB or slightly larger than 1TB Macintosh HD). The OS will juggle between the two drives in real time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After one day SSD 24GB is almost full...
What do you mean its almost full. As noticed Fusion is a logical joining of two drives, so you as a user does not see where the data is stored (SSD or spinning drive). If you split up the the Fusion drive and you see to physical drives, then that's different.

Meegosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2017
Fusion Drive automatically moves things between the two. You don't need to worry about doing anything.

As it's set up as a Fusion Drive, it should show as one logical volume (basically, a 1TB or slightly larger than 1TB Macintosh HD). The OS will juggle between the two drives in real time.

Thank you very much, so at first I should format both drives 24gb and 1TB and set them as 1 Fusion Drive? ...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thank you very much, so at first I should format both drives 24gb and 1TB and set them as 1 Fusion Drive? ...
IF you bought the computer new from Apple, it should already be "fused" together. If they are separate, you need to use the terminal to re-create the fusion.
See the steps here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/storage-drives/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html
[doublepost=1488886729][/doublepost]By the way, be sure to have a backup because the action of creating a fusion drive is destructive, i.e., you lose your data.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
That's why I advise folks to buy the 2tb fusion model, which has a 128g SSD portion...

Reactions: cynics

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That's why I advise folks to buy the 2tb fusion model, which has a 128g SSD portion...

Everyone is a General after the war.

When I bought my current iMac I just just walked into an Apple Store and told them I wanted the best they offered (in store). At the time the 1tb fusion had a larger SSD section since I did my research on that. However best IN STORE was 1 tb HDD....didn't even think about it at the time because how could the best in store not be at least Fusion right? I didn't do my research on that even though the box clearly said HDD.

Not exactly my dumbest tech decision but it was pretty high up there. Another bad decision was not returning it but coming from HDD's performance was (and still is) acceptable. But when I use an iMac with SSD especially PCIe based SSD I find performance relatively shocking.

Is there a buying guide on MacRumors for iMacs? If not there should be and the SSD section of a Fusion drive should be at the top of the suggestions, next should be the models that they offer in store. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.