Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The Question:
There seems to be lots topics concerning Fusion Drive problems in older iMac. In general was the Fusion Drive a good idea? Was it a reasonable compromise while SSD were initially becoming available? Or was it a faulty compromise from the start?

My Opinion: 👎🏼
I was always thought the Fusion Drive was more a sales gimmick and a kludge from the beginning. Failed traditional HDD are part life for older PC and the routine to handle them was well understood. How to handle Fusion Drive issues was never well thought out. Their primary impact was to decrease boot time and it was never that big of a help. And they did not improve drive longevity.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I do not believe it was a sales gimmick.... I think it was simply not as good as they thought it would be. The ssd's were not good enough and so they never really made anything go that much faster.

This to me seems like a sometimes you win, sometimes you lose gamble.

I still have a 2015 iMac 5K that has served me very well and now I run it off a external ssd for the fun of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.