Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your most favourite iPhone design?

• iPhone (Original)

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • iPhone 3G/3GS

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • iPhone 4/4S

Votes: 65 35.9%
  • iPhone 5/5S/5SE

Votes: 72 39.8%
  • iPhone 6/6S

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • iPhone 6 Plus/6S Plus

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • iPhone 5SE (not 5/5S)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • None of the above

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • iPhone 5C

Votes: 6 3.3%

• Total voters

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is unless the vendor artificially inflates the upgrade cost and deliberately pushes the customer toward the higher cost or a just/more expensive option. This is exactly what Apple has done.
Didn't the upgrade cost go down essentially if the 32 GB price became the 64 GB price? And deliberate push is really there, just a more appealing deal essentially.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Didn't the upgrade cost go down essentially if the 32 GB price became the 64 GB price? And deliberate push is really there, just a more appealing deal essentially.

If you look at just that, maybe. Or it could be a push result of the rest of the industry.
If you step back and look at memory, Apple charges more than anyone else to get that next step. Then there is the 16 vs. 32 argument as a baseline. As apps have grown and services have evolved, 16bg just pushes you toward a higher mem cost upgrade or a cloud account. iCloud is less than ideal when compared to other cloud services. Then add in the increased data usage cost...

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
iPhone 4! The ink-black colour of the front and back, contrasted by the beautiful stainless steel band, a metal ring around the camera and a reflective Apple logo. Oh boy!!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I'm probably alone in this but last time I really, really loved how iPhone looked was this: (colour included)

green-iphone5c.jpg

Look ma, no antenna bands or protruding cameras!

I liked it too but I wanted current iPhone specs. I don't like it when Apple reduces the technology when the screen is smaller. They do that with all their products.

Notice the front. It is not "white". For some reason, if you want a black front phone with a different color than Space Grey with the current iPhones, then you are screwed. I saw a Samsung S7 Edge the was gold on the back and the front. I think that looks nicer than the generic front on the gold iPhones even if Apple did make it black on the front.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Almost four months on, it seems users are saying something very strongly about what they want the iPhone to be.

Based on my (unscientific) poll, people don't care much for the iPhone 6/6s design. They're waiting patiently for an all new 4 inch sized form factor or possibly even a 3.5 inch sized form factor. Users have loved those designs the most with a combined 82% of respondents saying the 4 inch and 3.5 inch sized design are their most favourite.

Interesting results indeed.

iphone.png

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Almost four months on, it seems users are saying something very strongly about what they want the iPhone to be.

Based on my (unscientific) poll, people don't care much for the iPhone 6/6s design. They're waiting patiently for an all new 4 inch sized form factor or possibly even a 3.5 inch sized form factor. Users have loved those designs the most with a combined 82% of respondents saying the 4 inch and 3.5 inch sized design are their most favourite.

iphone.png

The design? Yes.
The size? No.
I prefer the larger screens. I just don't care for the current design.

Reactions: driceman

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014

iphone.png

Not particularly, especially when you consider response bias.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I like the 4/4s design the best, with the 5c close second.

I have a Note5, which borrows and (arguably) improves upon the 4s glass front/back design with it's curved glass and rounded edge ring.

Way better looking and better reception than the recent metal-backed iPhones.

What the hell is wrong with (unapologetic) plastic??

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012

iphone.png

I'm with rhonindk. I didn't pick the 5/5s/SE design for the size, but because it's not glass on both sides, the camera is flush with the back, and it's not rounded so it's easier to grip than the 6/6s design. I prefer the 4.7 and 5.5" screen sizes (still a little uncertain about which of those I prefer).

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I'm with rhonindk. I didn't pick the 5/5s/SE design for the size, but because it's not glass on both sides, the camera is flush with the back, and it's not rounded so it's easier to grip than the 6/6s design. I prefer the 4.7 and 5.5" screen sizes (still a little uncertain about which of those I prefer).
It could be possible to have a 4.7 screen in the 4/5 form factor or something very close.

Reactions: driceman

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I think the size of the phone is crucial. The iPhone 6 is simply too big in the hand. If Apple reduced the size of the bezels, they might be able to squeeze a 4.5" screen into the iPhone 5 framework. That would be the best compromise, in my opinion.

I liked the 5c design a lot; that clean colourful plastic looked appealing and felt very good to hold. Shame they handicapped the specs. I also loved the original iPhone design. It was great to hold, and, dare I say it, was the perfect size in the hand, better even than the 4" size. Jobs knew what he was doing.

If they made a 4.5" size, they could offer a 3.5" for the ladies, 4.5" for the gents and 5.5" for those who can't afford an iPad.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The iPhone 4 was 'peak iPhone', at least in terms of design.

I really like the curved edges of the iPhone 6, but the form factor is too unwieldy, making the phone incredibly slippery in-hand. The antenna bands are atrocious no matter where you put them, and the camera bulge is just inexcusable. It's almost as if someone threw up their hands and said "F*** it, close enough".

In my view, only the iPhone 4 had real attention to detail; everything that came after it has design compromises of one sort or another. I always preferred the proportions on the iPhone 4 compared to the iPhone 5, but that's splitting hairs.

If Apple introduced the iPhone SE with the same curved sides and reduced bezels as the iPhone 6 (sans bulge), they would have had a real winner.

IMO, the new designs represent a loss of form and function. The poll results are telling.

driceman

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
My reevaluated opinion about screen sizes if you care to hear it (do take note that I'm a 6'2" male, I purchased an iPhone 6s Plus, my work gave me an iPhone 6s after that, and I used to have an iPhone 5s):

1. A 4" screen is a bit too small for me period. My girlfriend loves her iPhone SE, but it's just too cramped for me.
2. If you don't have an Apple Watch, I think it makes the most sense to get a phone with a screen size that fits your hand well- which, for me, would be the 4.7" size.
3. If you DO have an Apple Watch, however, it makes more sense in my view to go for a slightly bigger phone, so there's a more tangible difference in screen real estate when you bother to take the phone out. I have a 42mm Apple Watch, so after trying out the 6s for a while, I decided that the 5.5" screen made the most sense as a bridge between when I would look at my Watch or bother to sit down and pull out my iPad or MacBook.

This should all be taken with a grain of practicality salt. The jeans I usually wear have pretty big pockets, so I can fit my 6s Plus in them without worrying about it falling out. Women who carry purses probably have their pick of what they want, but those who can't really bring one around with them at work (like my girlfriend, again), would probably have better luck squashing an SE or maybe a 6s into the obnoxiously small pockets in women's pants.

This is quite apart from design aesthetics; as I said in my previous post, the 5s design is better in my view. But the screen size is pretty important, too.

For what it's worth, I've also noticed that several people have said the design of the 6 and 6s is very slippery without a case. I thought I'd point out that while I agree that the 5/5s/SE design is better in that regard, the 6s/6s Plus phones seem to be slightly less slick than the 6/6 Plus were (I used to have a 6 Plus). I'm not sure why, exactly. Maybe Apple used a slightly different type of aluminum or a slightly different finish or something? Either way, I thought the 6 Plus was way more slippery than the 6s Plus is.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.