Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PetrolFuel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2021
Hi everybody!
The last couple of years I find myself becoming more locked into the apple-ecosystem. And I think that's fine. My last frontier is the AW. Which I probably in the future will acquire for myself. The thing that right now stops me is battery. I have a Garmin 245 Music right now - and although it has far fewer functions, I greatly enjoy the 5-7 days with battery life. It is of course dependent on what use it gets, but it's the charging everyday that puts me off atm.

I think when the AW hits at least 72h. I know the charging is just routine, but I have become so comfortable with the Garmin.
The Ultra, right now is too pricey for mye watch-budget.

When do you think it will be better - 3-5years from now?
Any others with the same though?

have a nice Monday!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
The screen type, CPU and case size determine the size battery Apple can put into the Apple Watch. Until they come up with a different battery type, Apple can only make the Watch bigger, like the Ultra or make the CPU more efficient to increase times between charges.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
The Ultra is pretty close to your 72 hour dream but like you said, it’s over your price limit.

I don’t think the older form factor of the Series 4-8 is ever going to make that large of a jump in battery life. What you need to have happen is for the Ultra form factor to filter down to the entry level watches. It’s possible that happens in 2-3 years. They’d have the same thickness but without the action button, no crown guard, and an ion-x screen wrapped in an aluminum body.

That extra thickness would give the entry level watches the same battery life or better since it may be missing the brighter screen or other features.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
The apple has way more smart watch features and intended use that will not allow it to have Garmin like battery life ever.

The Garmin are more geared to health tracking and less on being a multimedia device. If you run GPS music and other "smart" features the Garmin battery life goes WAY down.

The Ultra has been a gamechager to me because i get all the apple bennies but don't have to think about battery life at all. It doesn't last 5 days but I never have to think about battery life.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
So … if you shower every day, and unless you insist on wearing your watch in the shower, there’s zero reason to be put off by the “short” battery life of the Ultra.

My Ultra is on my wrist the entire day, including for overnight sleep tracking, save for when I’m in the shower. It almost never charges to 100% in that time, but I don’t think I’ve ever once seen the battery level drop below 20%, and I’m not sure it’s ever even been below 25%. Most days it’s 50% +/- 10% at the end of the day (and the days when it’s less, it wasn’t as fully charged the day before).

And I have everything turned on — always-on display, all the Siri things, the Wayfinder face with the compass on, handwashing … you name it. Most days include either an half-hour HIIT bodyweight routine or an hour and an half (spread throughout the day) in walking workouts (just going from one end of campus to the other, but, hey, might as well make it count). Many days include phone calls, and I’m not at all shy about leaving my phone behind and relying solely on the watch.

If you’re really hardcore and doing stuff that drains the battery even faster, put it on the charger before you brush your teeth before the shower, not between, and don’t put it back on until after you’ve finished shaving. Guaranteed 100% (or at least 95%) charge if you do that.

That’s what I don’t get about all this “Garmin watches only have to be charged every three months” bragging. Are people going that long with the watch glued to the wrist, not even taking it off to bathe? Or is it that much of an ordeal to put the watch on the charger instead of the countertop when bathing? I mean, sure, if you’re hiking the Appalachian Trial from start to finish with a goal of never stopping anywhere with an electrical outlet, you might want something that lasts more than a few days on a single charge. But otherwise? Why?

b&

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Even the regular Apple Watch Series 8 gets a consistent 24 hours of use from me from sleep tracking to the night after, and a 50ish minute pop on the charger while I’m showering/getting ready for bed etc. has it back up to 100% with little effort. The Ultra battery was fantastic but I still habitually found myself charging every night to top it off since with my use case it wouldn’t make it through a full 2nd day of workouts etc

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Keep on dreaming… Apple has been advertising since S0 18hrs and now 36hrs with the Ultra.
Sure there will be improvements but if you really want to utilize the capabilities of the AW, best is to develop the habit of charging every night, or, with fast charging find an hour during your day.
Been using AW since S0 for over 7 years and battery life has never been a concern for me - YMMV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.