Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2001
I really like the look and specs of the new iBook. They have finally provided RGB output to an external monitor, and I was considering purchasing one to replace my desktop G3...

But then I found out that the maximum external resolution is 1024*768. I have a 19" monitor, and would like to view higher resolutions when my notebook is anchored to my desk at home. Any PC notebook w/ similar video memory will pump out higher resolutions to an external monitor.

The iBook video hardware should be capable of running at 1600*1200, and while there are obvious reasons the actual iBook display can't handle that, it's pretty obvious that Apple crippled the output resolution to keep distinct notebook computer classes (i.e. consumer iBook and professional TiBook). (The TiBook, with the same video memory, can do 1600*1200 on a monitor.)

Aside from just ranting at this lame cut-off mark (why couldn't they cut it off at 1280*1024??) Has anyone heard about whether external resolutions may improve in future versions? Until then I'm not buying a thing (and I can't afford a TiBook, as nice as they are!).

Cheers,
Kenny

btw: is there an Apple contact address where I can direct this complaint and feature request? Their Web site doesn't have appropriate contact info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.