Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rolanddes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Hi guys,

I am currently rocking an old Macbook Pro Mid 2014 with a low latency DP1.2 Monitor. My connection from the Mac to the monitor is through a Thunderbolt 2 to Displayport 1.2 converter that lets me see 1080p @144Hz.

I am also considering purchasing a better and larger gaming monitor. At this point, I also want to consider future Mac upgrades I will have. It is obvious that Apple will not be filling Macs with different types of ports. USB C seems like it will stick. So I wonder which port/ports should my monitor have in order to be compatible with future Macs at 4K@144Hz? I do not want to hinder the quality of picture just because I will have to use a spesific cable/converter in order to match match the port that I have on my computer. Minidisplayport? Displayport? A newer version of HDMI?

Thanks

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Pretty obvious I think. A monitor with USB-c. These typically would also have display port and or a HDMI connection too.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
HDMI 2.1 supports 4K at 144Hz.

DisplayPort 1.4 can do 4K at 120Hz native, but it does support 4K at 144Hz with DSC (Display Stream Compression).

DisplayPort 2.0 can handle up to 4K at 144Hz, but not sure if that is currently supported by any monitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.