Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJMad

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2004
Seattle
GregA said:
Ahh... if Apple released a new word processor that saved files in PDF format or web pages, that would be truly brilliant.

As a company you send all your files to clients in PDF format, and request for files to be sent in PDF format (plus convert Word files they send you, with 95% accuracy). And it allows links within the files and conversions for HTML. Hmmmmm....

You can already do that, take any open file in textedit or word and hit print. You should see a button that says save as pdf.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
DJMad said:
You can already do that, take any open file in textedit or word and hit print. You should see a button that says save as pdf.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I know we can send a final copy in PDF. I guess I wanted a replacement for Word documents that is already universally accepted - and PDF is the one I can think of now.

I'd like to purely use PDF files, if it was possible. Save as PDF files, open and edit PDF files, etc.

In reality, if I (and collegues) worked on files of any format, and when we emailed them externally they went as PDFs, it would solve 90% of the issue. Maybe Apple could get email to offer "convert to PDF" any time we attach a file (of a specified type). Start people expecting PDFs rather than anything else.

edit: come to think of it -
- imagine working on a document you want to email,
- clicking on "File / Print", and
- seeing an "email" button (just like "Fax"), so click email, and
- email starts with your file AS A PDF (optional of course).
Would that be useful for you?

Crowspeaker

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
Excellent!

GregA said:
edit: come to think of it -
- imagine working on a document you want to email,
- clicking on "File / Print", and
- seeing an "email" button (just like "Fax"), so click email, and
- email starts with your file AS A PDF (optional of course).
Would that be useful for you?

You really ought to start making some noise on the Apple discussion boards with this one. What a great idea!

allebone

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2004
Government Inclusion

Hello All,

I noticed that this topic has danced around to many different areas of government involvement, even though I was originally reading for new Tiger features. Let me just say that paranoia is defeinately not called for in the government inclusion arena. There are a few different reasons why:

!. NSA involvement does not mean that "Big Brother" is watching you surf the web now. If memory serves most people right, the NSA has the largest lab for creating encryption technologies...hence newer features that rely on them, WPA...NSA AES encryption...PKI technologies. The NSA is a government agency, but they are the standard for encryption technologies, and that goes for everyone, users, other governement agencies, and the military.

2. The "government" is a big work for "fear" for alot of people. When people said earlier without naming a specific agency, that denoted not being knowledgeable. To be exact, the "government" has been working with Apple for almost a decade without most people saying things. By this I mean, every Air Force base in the world has a visual information shop...that a place that makes big signs for posters and things...guess what they use to design them. Of course, the Air Force has been working with them recently...you could have guessed that by the third cd of the Panther release....since it was mostly tailored for them. On the third CD you will find information about the CAC system, thats the Common Access System, and DOD-WIDE, Air Force accepted card/PKI system...well before the AF would agree to work with Apple, they needed some things, like the ability to check secure mail, or to login using their PKI certs. AF has been working with Apple since OS X began, because they were no more or less expensive than a SUN workstation to run UNIX utilities. Plus, you had two less complicated buttons than a three button mouse.

3. The AF specifically has worked with Apple on things that needed to be fixed so that it could be used...Safari to this date doesn't allow access to official websites...because of the DOD Pki infrastructure...so Apple is working on it, so people can check their mail.

4. GOV. buyers couldn't buy Apple before 3 years ago, because until they worked together...Gov buyers can;t buy anything unless it has a GSA schedule contract...well Apple dealt with schools mostly, which didn't use anything other than a regular credit card or PO system to purchase.

New features in Tiger than are governemtn approved, are just improvements to entice, government purchase.

macfan76

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2004
Features Include:

ADDED EXPOSE FUNCTIONS (NEW)
Everyone must remember that blue blob the came up if you did a hidden command in the terminal, or how about the black box that everything flies into and you can drag around scree. Remember those? Well they will be real functions in Mac OS 10.4, and selectable in the Expose control panel. It was hidden for a reason you know!

SLOWING DOWN RELEASES (NEW)
After 10.4 is released, which should be August if Apple's schedule is on time (but when is it ever!) There will be a slowdown of software releases, the next update coming in around 1.5-2 years. 10.4 should be thought of as a Public Beta for 10.5 which will be the 'perfect' OS. 10.4 will be avalialble for free, as a way of saying Thank you for paying $129 3 times. EDIT : This was confirmed today when Avie Tevanian said "We're slowing that (pace) down a little bit... because that's not a sustainable rate" today at the SIIA Enterprise Software Summit. "But you'll still see us go really fast."

iSIGHT 2 & iCHAT (NEW)
The iSight 2 is expected to be released sooner than we expect, but it will be for defiante at WWDC. This new iSight differs from the previous gen because it is developed by OrangeMicro and manufactured by Apple. This will create a driverless iSight that can be used in any app where a webcam is allowed without special drivers. The iSight is slightly different in terms of looks because the back of it is curved and features the new iChat logo. iChat 3 does not differ alot, we will have more info on that soon.

REMOTE DESKTOP SHARING
In Mac OS 10.4 you will be able to control another computer remotely (ie. similar to the Windows Remote Assistance) You will have full control of your friends desktop, simply by logging into their account, complete with the Cube effect, and you have full control over the desktop, you can move cursor, open files, delete files....Your friend will have a Window Manager, so they can see what you are doing, and can kick you off if your bad!

PILES - ICON ARRANGEMENT
Piles has been rumored so many times before for inclusion in Jaguar and Panther, but now finally it will come. It narrowly missed out being in Panther, but the last 9 months have helped create it into an even better feature. You can drag all your icons in any folder, and your desktop, and arrange them into stacks. This stacks can then be placed anywhere in your folder. When you want to un-pile, you can simple do so by RIGHT CLICKING and selecting UNPILE or via the the CONFIGURE FOLDER ACTIONS button in the finder.

DVD PLAYER 5.0
Apple is sprucing up the DVD Player to mak it like VLC Media Player. It will be able to play every Video format out there and have support for captions too. It seems odd not to implement this into QuickTime Player, but the recent Movie Trailers in iTunes suggest QuickTime may just be turning into a hidden API, not an actual app.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
macfan76 said:
Features Include:

iSIGHT 2 & iCHAT (NEW)
The iSight 2 is expected to be released sooner than we expect, but it will be for defiante at WWDC. This new iSight differs from the previous gen because it is developed by OrangeMicro and manufactured by Apple. This will create a driverless iSight that can be used in any app where a webcam is allowed without special drivers. The iSight is slightly different in terms of looks because the back of it is curved and features the new iChat logo. iChat 3 does not differ alot, we will have more info on that soon.

A new iSight camera...so soon? I can understand another software upgrade but a new camera. Glad I dont own one yet IF this proves to be true. Wonder if they will offer a bit of a zoom/macro at soem stage to allow for imporved other users like security and multiple speakers on one end...

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is interesting:

I had to call Apple Support the other day for help on a quirky eMac, basically to confirm what I thought I was supposed to do to fix it was correct thinking.

As he was searching for the answer, he read an internal email that I don't really know what in it, but it was something to do with certain files in the UNIX core. Will we see a major update there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.