Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
I think that the concept of the sim card is out of date nowadays and I would advocate getting rid of them completely.
Up until a year or so ago, this wasn't so important, but now we have so many devices - tablets, cameras, even smartwatches that can be used with a sim card, I think now's the time to get rid of them completely.
I have a few devices now that take sim cards and the process of changing sim cards between devices, or even buying separate sim cards to use in each device separately, seems very old fashioned and inconvenient.
What I would suggest is some kind of system that would do away with the need for sims altogether.
Perhaps an app that could be installed on the device, where the user can input the simcard number in order to get access to the network. Of course this would need to be secure, but there could be prompts for the user to have to answer a security question, or even to make a call to the network operator to register the device.
Depending on your contract or plan, the network could allow 2,3 or maybe 4 devices per 'sim'.
The app could allow you to control which device can send/receive phone calls or SMS, with data access being possible on all devices, with data usage being combined.
What do you think of this idea? I'm sure it's possible to happen but I doubt that it will. Perhaps there's some flaw that I haven't thought of?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My operator (Telecom) here in NZ used a similar system in the past (and I believe that Verizon and Sprint still do in the US), where if you got a new device you needed to log into Telecom's site, enter your account number and the ESN of the new phone, and then you had to go into the programming menu on the new phone and enter the ... MIN, I think it was called.

Since 2009, new Telecom phones in NZ have used SIMs instead and most people find changing a SIM to be much more convenient than entering numbers into the phone.

In the case of multiple devices, you could be onto something there, but there's nothing inherent to SIM technology that prevents one plan from being shared; one of the local operators lets you attach multiple phones to a single account for $1/month each.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
My operator (Telecom) here in NZ used a similar system in the past (and I believe that Verizon and Sprint still do in the US), where if you got a new device you needed to log into Telecom's site, enter your account number and the ESN of the new phone, and then you had to go into the programming menu on the new phone and enter the ... MIN, I think it was called.

Since 2009, new Telecom phones in NZ have used SIMs instead and most people find changing a SIM to be much more convenient than entering numbers into the phone.

In the case of multiple devices, you could be onto something there, but there's nothing inherent to SIM technology that prevents one plan from being shared; one of the local operators lets you attach multiple phones to a single account for $1/month each.
I believe Telecom was once a cdmaOne operator hence the ESN.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Sim cars definitely make buying and selling phones easy. We just need a universal standard with size. Everyone should use the nano sim...it is the smallest :)

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Sim cars definitely make buying and selling phones easy. We just need a universal standard with size. Everyone should use the nano sim...it is the smallest :)

But surely not having a sim card would make it even easier?
I mean it'd just be a case of factory resetting the phone before selling it.
Networks could still lock their phones if they wanted (not that I think they should).
I can see the argument about networks not wanting customers to share plans, but they could still restrict customers to using one device at any one time.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I mean it'd just be a case of factory resetting the phone before selling it.
Networks could still lock their phones if they wanted (not that I think they should).
I can see the argument about networks not wanting customers to share plans, but they could still restrict customers to using one device at any one time.

A lot of people want to know the phone is right for their network when they buy it second hand. You can just pop your sim card in and test it right on the spot.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
every carrier should have it's own cloud service where all the data is saved(the data we save in our sim cards), every customer should be given his/her own account in the cloud service where all of his data would go. every account should have it's own username, ID and passwords(fingerprints would also be a great thing) so that none would have any trouble with his'her data. that's how we'd get more memory for out msgs and contacts, and changing devices would become really easy. just log into your (sim)cloud account from the new device and voila!

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
every carrier should have it's own cloud service where all the data is saved(the data we save in our sim cards), every customer should be given his/her own account in the cloud service where all of his data would go. every account should have it's own username, ID and passwords(fingerprints would also be a great thing) so that none would have any trouble with his'her data. that's how we'd get more memory for out msgs and contacts, and changing devices would become really easy. just log into your (sim)cloud account from the new device and voila!

Exactly! This would make changing providers so much easier too. No more waiting for a new sim to arrive, losing contacts etc. Plus it'd be easier to switch between devices and not have to physically move the sim. And the issue of converting the sim to micro/nano and running the risk of losing or getting the card stuck wouldn't be a problem. What's more, it's not something that needs to be phased into new phones, it could happen right now with perhaps a small firmware upgrade.

nenotobe

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
agree.they could still restrict customers to using one device at any one time. thanks
zY

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

It would make it easier for carriers to keep you from taking the phone that you bought and using it where you want. I know of very few CDMA carriers who will activate a phone from another CDMA carrier even though it is technically possible. CDMA doesn't use sim cards and basically uses the system that you describe.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It would make it easier for carriers to keep you from taking the phone that you bought and using it where you want. I know of very few CDMA carriers who will activate a phone from another CDMA carrier even though it is technically possible. CDMA doesn't use sim cards and basically uses the system that you describe.

This is why I don't mind sim cards at all. I can take my iPhones and use them with T-Mobile and AT&T, same with my iPad, Nexus 7 and Nexus 4. I swap sims between them all the time.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Would be nice if we can use more than one phone with the same account/number. No swapping SIM cards (according to OP). Probably have an option to select default phone which will always overide the other when it comes to making/receiving calls, text and data.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Would be nice if we can use more than one phone with the same account/number. No swapping SIM cards (according to OP). Probably have an option to select default phone which will always overide the other when it comes to making/receiving calls, text and data.

Yes, I don't see why it would be an issue for operators, as long as you stick within the data limits etc.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
The cloud service still doesn't address a convenience issue. When you buy a new phone, you take your sim card out of the old one, pop in the new and off you go. Sounds easier than logging into a cloud service and then activating your phone or something.

Also, with no Sim in the phone, how will it know which network to try connect to?

And what happens if you're overseas, with no internet access and you want to use your phone on a local network instead of paying roaming charges? In my country, it's popular for foreigners to get their sim cards for a supermarket than go into a store.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The cloud service still doesn't address a convenience issue. When you buy a new phone, you take your sim card out of the old one, pop in the new and off you go. Sounds easier than logging into a cloud service and then activating your phone or something.

Also, with no Sim in the phone, how will it know which network to try connect to?

And what happens if you're overseas, with no internet access and you want to use your phone on a local network instead of paying roaming charges? In my country, it's popular for foreigners to get their sim cards for a supermarket than go into a store.

Sim cards do nothing but store the necessary network info for each subscriber. Don't see why they can't set it up to be flashed onto a phone without a SIM card. Also don't see why it wouldn't be possible to toggle between carriers(domestic and foreign) with any unlocked phone.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Sim cards do nothing but store the necessary network info for each subscriber. Don't see why they can't set it up to be flashed onto a phone without a SIM card. Also don't see why it wouldn't be possible to toggle between carriers(domestic and foreign) with any unlocked phone.

Flashed via NFC? Could work. As long as the phone can support multiple carriers via a settings switch. That's a possibility.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Flashed via NFC? Could work. As long as the phone can support multiple carriers via a settings switch. That's a possibility.

I was thinking of like a partition on the Phone's storage that acts like a virtual SIM card(s). Whether flashed USB or Wireless.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Exactly! This would make changing providers so much easier too. No more waiting for a new sim to arrive, losing contacts etc. Plus it'd be easier to switch between devices and not have to physically move the sim. And the issue of converting the sim to micro/nano and running the risk of losing or getting the card stuck wouldn't be a problem. What's more, it's not something that needs to be phased into new phones, it could happen right now with perhaps a small firmware upgrade.

let's hope a millionaire reads this and our wishes come true;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.