Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Just a quick FYI for any that might be curious.

After good results with the previous (and current) public beta on my 2016 MBP, I opted to move my late-2014 5k iMac to the current public beta (17A344b).

My system has a 1TB SSD internally and has a direct attached, Thunderbolt 2 RAID array (Promise2 R6: 6 3TB drives in RAID 5 configuration yielding 15TB of usable disk) that has standard HDDs inside. I left the RAID array attached while performing the upgrade.

Everything went smooth and when the process was completed, my internal SSD was converted to APFS (Trim enabled) and the attached RAID was left as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as I would expect.

After 24 hours, everything running great.

Last edited:

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
That's good to hear. Do you have any plans to update the RAID array to APFS? I wonder about this. I'd like to do it but it's mostly an OCD thing of just wanting the shiny new file system on all my storage.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
That's good to hear. Do you have any plans to update the RAID array to APFS? I wonder about this. I'd like to do it but it's mostly an OCD thing of just wanting the shiny new file system on all my storage.

The RAID is all HDD... I'm going to wait a while to hear other people's performance/success stories on converting a RAID-5 HDD array to APFS before I consider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.