Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supachicken

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Sydney
Hello,

I think I have read somewhere that 120GB HDD is the max size supported internal HD for the G4 Sawtooth and 2GB RAM was the max RAM? I just wanted to find out if this was correct.

Also, I have my B&W G3 that I want to turn into a media center so does anyone know the maximum ammount of HD this will support and RAM too.

Thanks guys.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
That is correct for the sawtooth, I think, it might be only 1.5Gb of ram though. The B&W I think is the same.

supachicken

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Sydney
Hi,

I read that it was 1.5GB RAM but then I read on the apple support discussions that you could use 2GB?

Cheers.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
The B & W's top out at 1 GB of ram, not 1.5 (4 x 256 mb). And they also have the limit of 128 GB hard drives, unless you drive them with a 133 PCI IDE controller card that overrides this limitation (I believe virtually all of them do). You can also use a bigger drive with a software solution that is NOT recommended on the B & W because you must use the slower IDE bus to make it work (the motherboard has a 33Mhz bus and one half that speed, if I remember correctly). More info about the software to bypass the barrier:

http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

The nice thing about a B & W is that you can put four hard drives in the thing with no fuss. One goes where the zip drive is/was. The other three along the bottom. You can hook the one by the DVD drive up to the same bus as the DVD drive and make it a slave and the DVD drive the master. Then you can hook up two to either an internal bus (master/slave) or a 133 card (two masters I think), and then the last one to a slave on the 133 card. Note that you don't have to have a 133 card. You can use a 66 Mhz card and simply stick with the 120 GB size. The 66 Mhz card will be very cheap on ebay (Acard is a good one).

Even if you only get a 66 Mhz card, you still can put 4 x 120 GB in the B & W. Do you really need more than 480 GB in a Blue and White anyway? 120 GB drives can be had new on ebay for between $50-$80.

Good luck.

EDIT: I just noticed that you are in Australia, which may make all my $$ estimates moot. It may be much more difficult and expensive to get the above mentioned parts there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.