Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zazza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Greetings everyone,
I'm pretty newbie for the Mac world, so be patient please.
I have the chance to have a look at an Imac G3 400Mhz (Tangerine) 384Mb (64Mb originally).
Had to swap the hard disk because the 15Gb Quantum inside was broken.
So, reinstalled OS 9.2.2 on the new disk. Everything went fine.

Sorry for the preamble but the problem is:
I have a firewire inclosure like this: http://www.byteccusa.com/product/enclosure/ME-320.htm (model is: ME-320F - Oxford 911 chip) but can't have it recognized by the system.
The "System Profiler" shows the firewire bus (2.8.6) with (obviously) nothing attached to it.
I've tried dvd-rom burner, dvd-rom reader, hard disk but with no luck.
The device is not detected in startup, too. (I'd like to boot with that).
I've upgraded the iMac to the latest firmware but with same results.

Another strange thing: on the label on the back of the iMac I read: 400Mhz/512K L2/64MB/10GB/DVD/56. So I think that "DVD" should state for DVD-Rom reader, right? But actually there's only a CD-ROM reader in this iMac... How is it possible?

I hope you could help me.

Thank you very much.
Bye,
Andrea

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I sill have a G3 B&W 400 and it has one of the first models of Firewire, with the first chipset. This chipset didn't recognize every other Firewire equipment with a specific, commonly used chipset. And I believe it was an Oxford chipset that it didn't recognized... You can find more information in the Apple support pages, also look there for a Firewire firmware update, If you can upgrade it, it could fix your problem. Goodluck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.