Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendan007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2006
I bought my iBook refurbished from techrestore for about $550. Great deal right? Well, apple told me the iBook was about 3 years old, and the battery lasts about 2.5 hours.

So i bought a new one. It arrived deffective. Thanks ebay. After much research and a little help from my local batterymart(no help from apple) i realized the battery had been left dead and unused for too long. :( So i got it to last me about 3 hours then it quit. now it will last me about that long but it will only charge when the iBook is open and only spuratically and it will only go to 43%. ive tried reseting the PMU and pretty much everything else. please help a noobie out.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
You're miffed at Apple for not helping you with a dodgy battery you bought off eBay? Uh, okay.

There's nothing you can do for an old non-functional battery short of buying a new battery -- not one from an original iBook, mind you, because they lose their charge capacity over time, but a brand-new replacement battery. I recently bought one for an iBook G3 on Batteries.com for about $60, which was a great deal. Look for coupons and sales on dealmac.com for your model number, which can be found on the battery itself (usually beginning with an M).

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
You're first mistake was to purchase a used battery for an old computer from somebody on ebay. This is almost always a waste of time and money.

If you want a working battery, then you'll have to buy yet another from a reputable outlet. Other World Computing sells aftermarket batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.