Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakegod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2005
Hi all
This is my first Mac a 2nd hand G3 ibook and my first forum
I am trying to connect to my TV. I've got an adapter but can't seem to get much further. I have tried to connect through both RCA and svideo the tv will flicker when I change settings (resoultion etc.) but I can't get a viewable picture.
any help would be great

p.s. Macs rock this thing is damn cool

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
I remember getting the S-Video adapter for my eMac. Unfortunately, the eMac wouldn't put out an image, as the output was VGA only. It sounds to me as if you are experiencing the same thing I was. Anyway, I don't think you can do much with it. Maybe you can save the adapter for when you get an iBook/PB, like I eventually did. If you want to output to TV, I think G3 iBooks needed an A/V cable. I never owned one, so I am not sure. But I think that's how it is.

* Edit *
The A/V cable has a stereo-like plug at one end. It looks like a mini-jack, except with three plastic spacers instead of two. The other end has RCA plugs. If you do some searching on it I'm sure you'll find what I'm talking about.

wakegod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2005
thanks... but

Thanks for the reply
I have an adpater that i bought online from applestore and from what I can gather It should work maybe. I need way more research before jumping in again.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
After G said:
If you want to output to TV, I think G3 iBooks needed an A/V cable. I never owned one, so I am not sure. But I think that's how it is.

* Edit *
The A/V cable has a stereo-like plug at one end. It looks like a mini-jack, except with three plastic spacers instead of two. The other end has RCA plugs. If you do some searching on it I'm sure you'll find what I'm talking about.
Not all G3 iBooks used the AV cable. If you're talking about the white ones, only the first two revisions used the AV cable. Subsequent iBooks used the Video adapter.

Here's how you tell which cable you need. First, what is the speed of your iBook. If it's 500mhz, then you need the AV cable. If it's 700 or faster, you need the Video adapter. If it's 600, then check to see if you have a small "reset" button on the left side of the iBook. It should be right above the headphone port. If you have the reset button, then you need the AV cable. If not, then you need the Video Adapter.

Note that the Video Adapter does not output sound. You'll need to get a minijack -> RCAx2 adapter to get stereo sound to the TV.

BTW, I could be wrong about the speeds mentioned above. This is all off of memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.