Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luke123456

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
21 year old system
i recently bought at local market for 45 $ but is locked out it has password which i do not know.
also i do not have original disc, does anyone no how to crack or reset the password on this lovely computer ?
any help is very appreciated
cheers

havokalien

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
Kelso, Wa
Yes any OSX cd, boot holding the "C" key on power on and choose from the options password reset and you will be all set. Has to be a CD as that Imac probably doesnt have a DVD drive. A thumb drive might work but you have to hold the option key if you try that then pick the thumb drive with OSX to do the same password reset.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
There is no possible way, to my knowledge, to boot a Bondi G3 over USB(USB booting didn't come along until the AGP graphics based computers, and even there it's a miserable experience due to the speed of USB 1.1).

If you don't have an install disk, you can reset the password in Single User Mode. Boot into this by holding command+S-you should get a "verbose" boot(text output while booting) that finishes with a command prompt.

The general procedure-from the command prompt-is this although in my experience it does vary a bit with different versions of OS X

1. Mount the file system by typing "mount -uw /"
2. Type "cd users", which will navigate to the users folder. Then, type "ls"-the output is a listing of all user accounts on the system. Note what they are.
3. Navigate out of the user directory by typing "cd .."
4. Type "launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist"
5. Type "passwd username" where username is replaced by an actual name noted in step 2. You should be prompted to enter a new password for that account.
6. Reboot (you should be able to do so by typing "reboot"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.