Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
I have an older black laptop...I've forgotten the name of those - powerbook was it? Anyway, it has an original Airport card installed. I just bought a Macbook Pro, so I won't need to use this laptop for wireless access, so I was thinking about pulling it and installing it in my G5 tower. I assume it would work fine, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Not only that, the Airport Cards are a form of internal PC card (PCMCIA??), where as the old Airport Extreme cards were a mini-PCI card. So not only does your b/g not fit, the card can't actually connect to it in anyway as no G5 was ever released with standard Airport...

FWIW, today Airport is built-in on a chip along with Bluetooth since it's standard in pretty much all Macs. They don't use the mini-PCI connection anymore.

:)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The good news is you can sell the regular Airport card and get one of the newer ones, and likely even make some money in the process of getting a better card. Regular Airport cards are very much in demand.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
whocares said:
Nope!

G3 Airport is standard 802.11b
G5 takes Airport Extreme 802.11g

Sorry :eek:

Arg! I should have known. Oh well, looks like I have a portable DVD player that just happens to have wireless internet access.

Scott

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
tobefirst said:
The good news is you can sell the regular Airport card and get one of the newer ones, and likely even make some money in the process of getting a better card. Regular Airport cards are very much in demand.

Interesting! I may give that a shot. Thanks.

Scott

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
tobefirst said:

Quite true, I hadn't thought of that.

Macofalltrades sells the AirPort card for $100, so you can likely get close to that on an eBay auction.

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Wow, prices have dropped on these things. I remember paying $99 for my card and $300 for the base station. Looks like the decided to be competetive.

Scott

Skaught

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2003
Are the Extreme base stations that much better than the originals?

Scott

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
The new airport extreme base stations are faster than the old graphite ones. They use 802.11g at 54mpbs instead of 802.11b at like 11mbps or something. The airport express rocks and I love mine... You should sell your old airport card because you can make at least 100 bucks. Thats a good deal for something that was the same price like 5 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.