Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Does anyone know of any good (fun) games that will run on a G3 iMac? stuff like idk, bugdom but better haha, Just curious if anything (game wise) will actually run on it. Something like Maplestory would be awesome
Specs are in sig.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
- Future Cop: LAPD

And surprisingly enough I have some other OS9/OS X games in a bundle pack at home. I think it's a 5 in 1 pack that I've been looking to sell.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
- Future Cop: LAPD

And surprisingly enough I have some other OS9/OS X games in a bundle pack at home. I think it's a 5 in 1 pack that I've been looking to sell.

I tried getting the demo of future cop 1.0.2 but it wont open because it's OS 9. Any other good ones? Thanks for the fast reply btw.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Old 700 MHz G3 iMac + Tiger = good luck getting any games to run on it. For OS X games, you hardly have any oomph. For System 8/9 games, you have solid specs but the wrong OS.

Do you have the HDD space to dual-boot? If so, there are lots of old-but-good System 9 games you can run (Myth, MWII, Total Annihilation, Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo).

Blizzard games - Diablo II & Starcraft - should/could run OK on both your specs and OS X. Some version of Civilization III - maybe the original, NOT 2006's Civ3 Complete - might also work. Myth II should work with the OS X patch/update. Ambrosia's Escape Velocity Nova is a bit of a rip-off, in my opinion, but should work OK given your setup.

But in general, if you're serious about gaming, I'd say set up a dual-boot; or take OS X off your iMac; or spend $25 or so online to get a System 9 iMac or G3 desktop & use that for gaming. If you're serious about OS X gaming (cheaply), drop some money into a G4 or Intel Mini.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yeah, OS 9 is going to be your main gaming operating system on that iMac. You'll probably get Quake III easily to run in OS X but I doubt much else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.