Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hey, I just figured out (with help!) that my Powerbook G3 can see PC133 RAM, but it only sees one side, I believe. I put in a 512MB piece, and it saw 256MB. If I get a stick of 256MB PC133 RAM and put it in my Powerbook (Lombard, btw), will it see the whole thing, or just half again, at 128MB?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Eidorian said:
This is just from memory, but I think the Lombard's maximum amount of RAM is 512 MB (2 x 256)

That is true, which is why I think it only saw it as 256MB instead of 512. But I've read that G3's will only "see one side" of newer RAM, so I'm wondering if it will see the full 256 stick or not.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
livingfortoday said:
That is true, which is why I think it only saw it as 256MB instead of 512. But I've read that G3's will only "see one side" of newer RAM, so I'm wondering if it will see the full 256 stick or not.
It should. I only know that the Pismo went to 1 GB. Some newer RAM has density issues. (I forget if it's high or low.) That cause the memory to either not be seen or only half.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The issue is not PC133 vs PC100 vs. PC66 -- it is the construction of the particular module, whether the chip density and organization is compatible with the machine. If you are buying RAM, choose a reputable vendor who texts and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I agree when it comes to new RAM, but I'm looking at buying some used RAM pulled from a Powerbook G4 in the Marketplace, so I wanted to know if there were any size problems I would have.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
livingfortoday said:
I agree when it comes to new RAM, but I'm looking at buying some used RAM pulled from a Powerbook G4 in the Marketplace, so I wanted to know if there were any size problems I would have.
Yes, there could be problems.
The 512 is not compatible in any way

A 256 will have to be a low density device, and who knows if the chip programming will be correct to allow it to run at the slower speed and report the correct configuration?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.