Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Just Dreaming

Originally posted by daveg5
a metal lighter and stronger then Titanium, 3 year Apple Care Warranty standard. Upgradeable cpu ziff and upgradeble video zif 128MB Radeon 9700PRO, disk drive and battery leds, a suite of Sega Games ported from the Xbox and DOOM the Game., I will go up to $3100.
Of course I am crazy!

Oh yeah your bringing up what I've wanted all along. A Byrillium case. Lighter and stronger then Titanium. Cheap too (hahahahahahahaha.....).

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by Chryx

However, the Transmeta chip will get smacked around in a benchmark war against the 750FX simply because the 750FX is a hardware processor, the Crusoe is a JIT emulation engine with a dedicated bit of hardware to run of (if you see what I mean.)

Just wanted to clarify for those as dense as myself that "JIT" has nothing to do with Java in this context ...

The Crusoe does softened (ie, much hardware but a bit software driven) instruction translation from x86 to its own machine code. If I recall correctly, the Crusoe internal code is CISC as well, which along with the slightly-softened translation engine differentiates it from the full-hardware x86-to-internal-RISC translation units on the Pentium Pro-Pentium 4 and Athlon processors.

The softened translation engine is a feature that would allow the Crusoe to, without a massive hardware reconfiguration, interpret other machine code instruction sets as well as x86. That is, in theory. In practice, I think x86 is the only supported instruction set, and I suspect that that is because it is technologically unfeasible to implement many other instruction sets in the current hardware (like PPC). But that's an uninformed guess.

On topic? Hardly. But, just felt like sharing ... :)

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by jettredmont
If I recall correctly, the Crusoe internal code is CISC as well,

It's more VLIW, or maybe even SIMD..

it apparently has a hardware x86 MMU though (hence it not being totally software reconfigurable)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by JSRockit

Professional for who?

i guess its just what people seemed used to

i kind of liked macs when they came in all those colors and i miss that...i have a rev a blueberry ibook i use everyday

i guess apple has opted for a more subdued look these last few years

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by jefhatfield

i guess its just what people seemed used to

i kind of liked macs when they came in all those colors and i miss that...i have a rev a blueberry ibook i use everyday

i guess apple has opted for a more subdued look these last few years

Exactly. You are a professional if you make money with your Apple. Plenty of professional musicians I am sure love the current apple machines... and, I bet, would love to see some colors. Black is boring, but I bet Apple could make black look good. Not too many suit and tie types use Apples I would imagine.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by JSRockit

Exactly. You are a professional if you make money with your Apple. Plenty of professional musicians I am sure love the current apple machines... and, I bet, would love to see some colors. Black is boring, but I bet Apple could make black look good. Not too many suit and tie types use Apples I would imagine.

i think with the corporate types, it's a dell love fest:p

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by jefhatfield

i think with the corporate types, it's a dell love fest:p

Yep...the dell specs aren't bad, but they weigh too much, and are so damn ugly. Corporate all the way.

miss5ally

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2005
New to Mac

Well..I'm sort of new to Mac. New in the kind of way that I was brought up in a PC-loving family and wasn't introduced to Macs until this past year (now I'm in love)

I'm getting my first mac, and I'm going ibook since i'm the student-type that needs a durable not-too-fancy machine. it needs to be mac because my main hobby is video. i take an advanced video class that uses G4 machines but i've started work out of school in addition to in-school projects and desperately need a computer for in-the-field work.

i don't talk mac like a video-savvy should, but i know what i absolutely need. i need something fast and something super cheap (ha.ha...relatively, of course), i don't want to short change myself, but i don't want to get something i don't really need.

do i need a g3, or will i be robbing myself if I don't get a g4?

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
You can't get a G3 laptop unless it's used, and I'd not suggest that for video. A G4 will allow you to do video, but if it's a major part of your life I'd recommend a G5 tower--one of the new dual-cores or an older (and reduced price dual chip). Do you need to create/edit video or have access to it on the road? A less expensive laptop would easily display video created on a faster tower--if video work is your life a tower would be helpful. You might also want to wait for the Intel iBooks to arrive in January to see if they have dual cores and if their processing power is increased substantially over the current G4s. If so, get one, if not, get a G4 at reduced pricing.

miss5ally said:
Well..I'm sort of new to Mac. New in the kind of way that I was brought up in a PC-loving family and wasn't introduced to Macs until this past year (now I'm in love)

I'm getting my first mac, and I'm going ibook since i'm the student-type that needs a durable not-too-fancy machine. it needs to be mac because my main hobby is video. i take an advanced video class that uses G4 machines but i've started work out of school in addition to in-school projects and desperately need a computer for in-the-field work.

i don't talk mac like a video-savvy should, but i know what i absolutely need. i need something fast and something super cheap (ha.ha...relatively, of course), i don't want to short change myself, but i don't want to get something i don't really need.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
miss5ally said:

Miss5ally: the post you somehow found was three years old.

Do not get a G3 ibook unless you only have about 250 dollars to spend and then I would get a G3 500mhz iBook and not spend a penny more on it.

Go to the APple page and get a refurbed 1.2ghz or 1.33 ghz iBook for either 699 or $799. You will be VERY VERY happy. Apple phased out G3s two or three years ago, honey. (This is unless you want an old G3 iMac desktop that still performs pretty well. Laptops don't hold up because of all the moving and shaking after three, four, five years. But the old iMac G3 desktops are pretty stable workhorses for about a hundred bucks plus memory because they just SAT on the tabletop for years. That may be an entree to Mac for you if you are very very poor. )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.