Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socom_22

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
Hey dosdude,

In case you haven't seen this, SC means "Custom Device" whereas MC means "Qualified Standard Device". Presumably Freescale manufactured the SC chips to be tailored to a specific customer's requirements. What those requirements were, what product they were produced for, and how they might impact our ability to overclock, I have no idea.

View attachment 2148318

It seems most people are having better luck overclocking the MC chips. Sometime in the next couple of months, I will be doing a few chip swaps with some SC7448s and will report whether or not I can get them to run faster than 2 GHz.
Please see my post from a few pages back regarding Motorola/Freescale legacy part numbering.

socom_22

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022

Akulareb

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2020
After a VERY long time I got my DLSD working again. Still amazes me that the system profiler doesnt show actual frequency. After the 7448 swap I will pump the bus to 200MHz and the CPU to at least 2GHz. Will be a rock’n’roll powerbook. I think I again did something to the ram slot as its AGAIN not seeing the second ram stick… Easy fix tho. In a week you all will be seeing the sweetness of overclocked 7448 DLSD 😁 I am excited to see the GeekBench score.
EDIT: Now I have a test platform for the PCMCIA accelerator card at least.
Hey @JoyBed thanks for your contribution, maybe dosdude1 can help too.

I have a brand new, preballed Motorola HX1700LD like yours in picture.

As far as I can understand the DLSD have native support for 7448. But what about the previous?

My one is a PowerBook5,7 - A1107 - which has the screen from a DLSD and 7447 overclocked to 1.83ghz.

Would love to know if it's natively supported so to swap cpus..
Thanks!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hey @JoyBed thanks for your contribution, maybe dosdude1 can help too.

I have a brand new, preballed Motorola HX1700LD like yours in picture.

As far as I can understand the DLSD have native support for 7448. But what about the previous?

My one is a PowerBook5,7 - A1107 - which has the screen from a DLSD and 7447 overclocked to 1.83ghz.

Would love to know if it's natively supported so to swap cpus..
Thanks!
It is indeed, though the BootROM will need to be patched. The DLSD is the only PowerBook with native 7448 support. I have a custom version of Flashrom for Linux with added definitions for the flash chips used in these PPC Macs, which can be found here: http://dosdude1.com/files/flashrom/flashromppc.zip

I recommend running under Ubuntu Mate 16.04. With Flashrom, you can dump your BootROM, send it to me, I can patch it for you, and send it back for you to flash on. Remember to boot the machine with a long-hold of power button, to allow access to EEPROM from OS for flashing/reading.

Reactions: philgxxd

JoyBed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Direct from NXP’s web site:

The part numbering qualification appears to follow very similar conventions across the entire product line, including our legacy PPC processors.

I have also sometimes seen brief explanations of these qualifications in the individual product datasheets.
It doesnt say anything about the PowerPC CPUs our Macs use tho, the legacy part is talking about power management devices.

Last edited:

indibil

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Spain
I got my hands on a few 7448 CPUs, anyone wants some? I have 1,2GHz, 1,4GHz, 1,7GHz versions. I can also offer the CPU swap services. And the best part is that they are DIRT cheap.
Hello, I am interested in a 7448 at 1.7GHz. Is there a possibility of purchasing one? I send you a message?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It is indeed, though the BootROM will need to be patched. The DLSD is the only PowerBook with native 7448 support. I have a custom version of Flashrom for Linux with added definitions for the flash chips used in these PPC Macs, which can be found here: http://dosdude1.com/files/flashrom/flashromppc.zip

I recommend running under Ubuntu Mate 16.04. With Flashrom, you can dump your BootROM, send it to me, I can patch it for you, and send it back for you to flash on. Remember to boot the machine with a long-hold of power button, to allow access to EEPROM from OS for flashing/reading.
I have a Mac OS X version of flashrom at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...in-a-beige-power-macintosh-g3.2303689/page-32

It has two methods (or "programmers") for reading the ROM: "anymem" and "internal".

1) Try "anymem" first. That should work on any Mac without using the long-hold of the power button at boot. I used it with my B&W G3.

2) Then try "internal". Then compare the results. The "internal" method is probably suitable for G4s and later. It causes my B&W G3 to hang because it requires more code to read the flash (some extra registers need to be set).

indibil

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Spain
I look forward to the 2Ghz attempt :) I think I have only ever seen one Mac Mini G4 hit 2Ghz, and that was with a massive heatsink coming out the top of it, I guess they managed to keep it cool enough to stop it tripping the OCP...

I do really want see what could be done with a 7448 now the OCP has been figured, if you use a Last gen Mac Mini G4, PowerMac10,2 then you dont need to worry about firmware patching, as the 4.9.x firmware supports the 7448 natively

you will need an NVRAMRC script to boot MacOS, but thats not too hard to do

I wonder if one could find a copper heatsink with the same fin-stack density as the original, for maximum improved cooling?
Hello, the Mac Mini works fine at 2GHz:

IMG_20240404_105506.jpg
IMG_20240404_105531.jpg
IMG_20240404_110047.jpg

More details at:
https://rosysumenteinquieta.blogspot.com/2024/04/mac-mini-g4-2ghz.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.