Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lordart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Hey guys - having a bit of a clear out and considering selling my old G4 from '99 can anyone let me know if it's worth more if I sell in/with it's original box + packaging & accessory box/packaging or not? I only ask as it's quite a big box and really getting in the way! The mac itself is tucked in the corner of another room just now. It is in excellent but used condition with original keyboard/mouse etc.

Cheers!

Lordart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Maybe I should change the question to is it more desirable enough if sold with original box/packaging to be worth me not getting rid of the box etc? I'm not quite ready to sell the mac hence the question... otherwise I'd just put it up for sale and see how it goes!

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
I'd say it will be more desirable if it has all the original packaging material in the original box (with matching serial number).

Whilst the machine itself is probably a dime a dozen right now, a well kept machine in it's own box should be better value later.

Just my 2c

Reactions: Lordart

Lordart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Thanks MacTech - I'm in two minds whether to keep it for now or just get rid for whatever it's worth... but yes the box is the one the mac came in from Apple and in perfect condition as kept inside it's original delivery box ... I still need to clear the hard drives I have in the machine, gather the accessories and make sure everything is dust free etc. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to tech packaging... hence the clear out ;)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Personally, I'd keep it, especially if I were the original owner. As stated, a G4 in good condition with the box will be more desirable than one without - but you'd still be lucky to get $150 for it. The collectability and value is more likely to increase than decrease as time goes on.

Lordart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Thanks Redheeler - I was already considering hanging onto it for sentimental reasons so that option is certainly on the cards if I can find some space to store it! :) but I think a good plan may be to collect everything together, give it a good check over and test and update this thread once I have all the specs etc and see what a few of you would value it at. I also have a selection of software in original boxes etc that could be sold with or separately depending on which is best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.