Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
my friend thinks that his cube is faster than a new ibook... can someone have any thing to add other than the mghz is faster and bigger l2 cache? cuz he won't believe it... (what a pig-head)

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
his cube could be faster in a few, few apps, but for the most part if its a stock cube the ibook, minus the
Hard drive bottle neck, will clean up with the cube.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
The iBook has better video performance, I'm not sure about the rest, it shuld be. My pismo was faster than my dual 500:confused:

Mojo The Monkey

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2003
I love my 450 MHz G4 Cube to death. That being said, I ran Xbench on both it and my 700 Mhz 16 MB Radeon iBook.

The results were basically a wash. The Cube was faster on some tests (video, HD), while the iBook was faster on others. I don't remember exactly what the results were, but they were very comparable.

This won't be the case for long, though. I'm saving my pennies for a 1.2 Ghz upgrade for my Cube. I'd like to see you try to cram one of those in your iBook...
:D

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
i never said i had an ibook i have the 12 inch pb!!! well my friend says that his g4 cube 450 mghz is faster in everything and i mean EVERYTHING than the ibook 900 mghz... i dunno... i don't think he quite understands the concept of the mghz i mean... there is no difference in g3 mghz, g4 mghz, and g5 mghz, its all the new stuff that the chips come with (like the g4 has the velocity engine)... right?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
i never said i had an ibook i have the 12 inch pb!!! well my friend says that his g4 cube 450 mghz is faster in everything and i mean EVERYTHING than the ibook 900 mghz... i dunno... i don't think he quite understands the concept of the mghz i mean... there is no difference in g3 mghz, g4 mghz, and g5 mghz, its all the new stuff that the chips come with (like the g4 has the velocity engine)... right?

if he has a stock model cube then he doesn't know what he's talking about.... the cube has half the video memory and half the clock speed... the G4 might let him be faster on some altivec enabled tests, but on the whole, the ibook will destroy a stock model cube.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
The correct abbreviation for "megahertz" is MHz.

Also, other factors to consider:
How much RAM was in each machine?
What apps were open for each?
What OS was on each machine?
What is the bus speed of each machine?
What was the screen res. for each?

In nearly all cases, each factor has to be equivalent (except for the hardware) before comparison. At ideal conditions, the only benefit of having a Cube in the comparison of a 450MHz Cube to a 900MHz iBook is you have a Cube.

Bunzi2k4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
San Diego, California
Originally posted by King Cobra
The correct abbreviation for "megahertz" is MHz.

Also, other factors to consider:
How much RAM was in each machine?
What apps were open for each?
What OS was on each machine?
What is the bus speed of each machine?
What was the screen res. for each?

In nearly all cases, each factor has to be equivalent (except for the hardware) before comparison. At ideal conditions, the only benefit of having a Cube in the comparison of a 450MHz Cube to a 900MHz iBook is you have a Cube.

o... i thought it was mghz... but ok i'll keep that in mind

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.