Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
How about it then? I am sure that G5s will be coming out in Janurary... Look at it:

The 9600 design only lasted 8 months, it then became the G3 Beige design which lasted from Nov97 till Jan99.

The Blue G3 design only lasted Jan99 to Sep99 then with a re-colouring became the G4.

The G4 Original design lasted from Sep99 till Jul01.

The G4 QuickSilver released Jul01 therefore a replacment should be released about 7 months later.

1.July
2. August
3. September
4. October
5. December
6 Janurary

Almost! Possibly Apple could be ahead of schedule, possibly updated G4 or HOPEFULLY G5!

I guess this may end up in a forum war!!

Ensign Paris

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I sure has hell hope so! I wonder what would happen to the PBG4 though. Although when the original G3PB was introduced it was updated majorly with in the few months.

Hmmmmm....

Guy

[Edited by Ensign Paris on 11-07-2001 at 03:42 PM]

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
I haven't seen anything indicating that the G5 chip runs much hotter than the G4, so not putting it in a laptop would more likely be a marketing decision. Anyone heard about the possibility of a G5 laptop? Hell, I'd buy one of those in a second, especially if they made the case even cooler than the ti.
Whoa, now how about this...A G5PB with a 15" screen that has the iBook's crisper resolution, faster bus, combo drive, any takers?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I'll take 2

Just bought a 667PBG4 but I will take two!

Imagine it, Windows Laptops as far as I know don't go over 1ghz, a G5 Would kick its ass even more as the Powerbook G4 does and most probably the iBook500!

Guy

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
from what i understand we will probably see dualG4 powerbooks before g5 powerbooks. apparently there are some issues with getting the g5 into a notebook compounded with the fact that they just redid the g4 powerbook and would not want to take away from that. i have a sneaking suspicion that motorola and apple are giving us the ninja vanish when it comes to the g5 and that it is pretty much ready for production. thats judging on a few reads and a hunch.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I can see where you are coming from...

I think you might be right, there has never been any meation of the G5 from Apple, and Motorola have been talking about the G5 alot. Hmmmhmnm I wonder...

Guy

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
I hope your hunch is correct. I think I would break down and buy a g5 if they were available.

Ensign Paris: Sad to say but Dell makes a 1.2 gig notebook called the M40 and the latitude c810 at 1.13 gig. They still are dell's though ;)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
4 Flavors

I was sent this my email from a friend in Calaforna.

Not to sure how legit!!

g5.jpg

4 Different Versions:
1 - 1000mhz
2 - 1200mhz
3 - 1400mhz
4 - 1600mhz

Maybe! I WISH!

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Re: Doh!

Originally posted by Ensign Paris
A PBG4 would still kick its ass!

My PBG4667 can beat a 1.4AMDAthalon by quite abit

Guy

No argument here :D

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
To True

The Dual800 I use is wickedly fast, when it seems like it does things before you tell it to. I LIKE IT!!

Guy

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Re: To True

The Dual800 I use is wickedly fast, when it seems like it does things before you tell it to. I LIKE IT!!

Guy

haha, I'm still stuck in the 90's with my Blue and White g3, but it seems to be rock solid. Best computer investment I've ever made.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
heh i'll go ahead and say why i have a hunch. i was talking to my local apple rep and i was like "ya hopefully motorola will get their sh*t together because apple NEEDS to have a good GHz number just for PR purposes" and he just kinda jumped and gave a face. i thought he was agreeing with me but upon further prodding all he would say is "i know something you dont" thats probably the most ive ever gotten out of him so i think something bigbigbig might be coming...thats my hunch.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
AppleCentre Warrington

AppleCentre Warrington will often tell you that something is coming and the date that it will be released but they wont tell you what!!!

Cancom UK say its BIG! One reason I started this thread.

Guy

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Yes!

I am almost certain to see G5s at SanFrancisco or maybe MacExpo London.

I hope there is a release at MacExpo because I am there! ALSO, get people buying before Christmas? Huh!

BTW What is Hyper-Transport, just fast Data Transfer across the motherboard?

Guy

[Edited by Ensign Paris on 11-07-2001 at 05:30 PM]

Obsidian

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
hell yeah!

I believe that by Mac World SF 2002, we should see Power Mac G5's running up to 1.6GHz. At many different sites I have read information on it, and that Apple has released 1000 prototypes in ATX cases to key developers.
On two or three different sites, I have read about developers recieving G5's running at 2.0 or 2.4GHz... I wonder, after the new G5's are on the market, is it possible to buy a prototype? That would be really cool to have a mac prototype, if money was not an option.. :)

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Wicked!

It would be Super-Cool to have a Mac Prototype. I have an Apple I but a real prototype would be cool.

I want Apple to beat the 2ghz barrier at London!

I really hope they do and KILL the megahertz Myth and Intel with be Cr*ping there pants.

Guy

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Can anyone confirm?

Hi

Does anybody have any real evidence that the protyple is out?

What is an ATX case? Just a standerd PC case?

Guy

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: Can anyone confirm?

Hi

Does anybody have any real evidence that the protyple is out?

What is an ATX case? Just a standerd PC case?

Guy
yes,its a standard pc case

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
g3 & g5?

Yes, ATX is just the standard now for the PC beige cases out there.. there are AT cases, but most are the ATX.. they allow the software to control the power/sleep modes...

ANYWAY..

What can Apple do if they are getting Moto to make the G5's while IBM is still working on the 1ghz G3??? How can Apple's marketting strategy to be to sell 1.6Ghz G5's along side the 4 4 year old.. will be 5 year old (from '97) G3 technology??? (750FX chip) Sure, IBM has totally blown us away getting this chip that fast.. and I am sure it is as faster than the G4's in non-Altivec.. but probably even near the 867 G4 speed IF IBM is telling us the truth in that the new 750 does the "ALTIVEC-LIKE" processing.

I just can see Apple abandoning the G4... yet, cannot see them selling all three.. that is not smart. if we see the G3's selling in the iMac's at 1299 - 1799, and the G4's in the mid-product line.. starting at 1699 - 2499, that would make the G5's go for over $2000 for just the 1.0Ghz.. the 1.6 would put you around 3499.. but while that MIGHT work.. how could you justify getting the G3?? when the G5 is out!?

I don't know.. maybe it will happen.. but it sure seems like that would leave Apple's consumers with too many options, and Apple has always been without the extraneous options .. 2 notebooks, and 2 desktops.. that's it.. 3 or 4 variations of each..

any ideas? other than this post is WAY too long?

i feel like jef h.. am i getting there yet jef? : )

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Re: Wicked!

It would be Super-Cool to have a Mac Prototype. I have an Apple I but a real prototype would be cool.

I want Apple to beat the 2ghz barrier at London!

I really hope they do and KILL the megahertz Myth and Intel with be Cr*ping there pants.

Guy
2ghz?!?! Apple havent even beat the 1 ghz barrier..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.