Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

originaldotexe

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2020
Kentucky
That looks exactly the same as the Cy model (£15 from Amazon) I used (Recommended by @haralds....?)
I used a 256gb Transcend ssd.
hopefully it works then :)
i just ordered that as well as a lot of 3x edimax usb wifi adapter, which im hoping are the original model as they recently released a new v2 model that doesnt work on powerpc

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Any ideas for an external 2.5" IDE enclosure to USB/FW....?
I see some on Amazon (cheap as chips), but would it need to be powered.

Want to see if I can get anything off the old HDD.

I would guess it depends on how much bus power the USB port to which you connect an external enclosure can supply, versus how much draw an HDD might need to pull. The details on that product don’t specify power requirements.

With this external unit, you might need to experiment with a couple of different USB port combinations with the gear you have, or it could require a powered USB bus intermediary (e.g., a 4-in-1 multi-port switch).

Offhand, I recall the PowerBook G4 USB ports provide bus power on all ports (at 500mA, I’m pretty certain). Contrast this to, say, the Intel MBPs (specifically, the unibody models), which provide 500mA on one port, usually adjacent to the power adapter, whereas the others are not.

In short, trial-and-error things until you find a working combination.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
I would guess it depends on how much bus power the USB port to which you connect an external enclosure can supply, versus how much draw an HDD might need to pull. The details on that product don’t specify power requirements.
2.5" HDDs may need more than 500mA especially when spinning up, which is why some of those enclosures, including the Digitus DA-71001 I have, include a Y-cable to draw additional power from a second USB port, neatly violating the USB specification. :p

iu

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK

This isn't required anymore, since I found my backup drive (power supply)......;)

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
As far as Airport Extreme, here's the thing with your router. You need to be using WPA or WEP. Airport Extreme will support WPA2, but only if you are using Tiger 10.4.11 or above.

Finally, when using WPA/WPA2 you need to have TKIP encryption, not AES.
Another update:

Installed and upgraded 10.3-10.4-10.5.
Then partitioned drive to install 10.4 separately, after 10.4.11 update over Ethernet, WiFi works in Tiger without any tweaks to router (connected to Apple.com, but damn slow).

One funny thing is (in Tiger), when on Ethernet it shows as default computer name on the router, but when on WiFi it shows as what I renamed it in the Leopard install........🤔

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
One funny thing is (in Tiger), when on Ethernet it shows as default computer name on the router, but when on WiFi it shows as what I renamed it in the Leopard install........🤔
Maybe due to the different MAC addresses of the ethernet and WiFi interfaces?

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.