Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
The CD-RW drive in my Quicksilver G4 writes really fast, or at least it did until I saw the ad for the new 32x CD Burner :mad: :mad: Grrrrrrr!!! Anyway, one thing it doesn't do well is sustained reading. Whenever I try to read a movie off a CD, it'll whirrrr really fast for like 15 seconds, and then it'll shut off. Then about two minutes later the movie will get jerky, and the drive will spin for another 15 seconds. This happens anytime I try to read from a CD. I'm wondering if I could maybe buy a regular DVD-ROM drive and slip it into the second drive slot. Which drive should I buy and where?? And how in the **** am I supposed to open the second drive because my Pro Keyboard has only one eject button, and I don't want to have both drives fly open at me everytime I want to change one???

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
it means....

It means that the second bay in the Quicksilvers are not full size... they were ment to fit zip drives only. To try and jam a DVD drive or any other dive like it would be like trying to put a square peg into a round hole.

I was dissapointed when I found out about it my self. I was kinda counting on being able to upgade my system with a second drive ... I guess I have to go fireWire.

trinitishwar

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2001
Gainesville, Fl
Ooops. Didn't mean to be redundant. That's what happens when you spend half an hour looking for an article you saw a week ago halfway through posting a reply. :p

trinitishwar

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2001
Gainesville, Fl
????? Unless you specifically order a machine without a modem they are always included. I thought this thread was about the 2nd drive bay. And if you want to open the second drive bay hit the open button. Or if you have media in the drive then right click-eject or drag to the trash.

trinitishwar

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2001
Gainesville, Fl
I mean the open button on the front of the drive. It won't work if you have something in the drive (and by something I mean an optical disk, if you have anything else in there you have other problems) :p. But in that case, just right click on the icon and choose eject. Or add the eject button to the finders toolbar under View-Customize Toolbar.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
How do I reach the open button on the drive with that stupid flap in front of it? And why is the flap identical to the one above it if the bay behind it is different?!? Where is a good place to get a VD-Rom drive, internal or external??

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
They make the external covers for the bays identical for design symetry. They did this with the pre-QuickSilver G4 systems and just made different covers to place over the zip or jaz drive when you installed it.

Also, the lower drive has the two screws that hold that entire bracket in place. If you did cut it up, you would have to fenagle someway to secure the carrier into your computer (not worth the hassle).

As for a VD-rom drive, how about getting a firewire enclosure and then pick up a dvd-rom drive? Typically those will read all the different formats (the newer ones do at least). You can pick the drives up (internal) for under $100 depending on what peak speed you want. The external firewire case runs around $100 as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.