Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
IN
so i realize this has been answered somewhere- but i'm not sure where

w/ apple releasing the mini-mac (a brand-new computer line) w/ a g4 in it
does that mean Tiger will be able to run on a G4?

i remember reading somewhere rumors of some sort that Tiger will only run on a G5- which would be lame
as my mother runs everything on her PB G3 still- and claims that it all runs smoothly-

so- just kinda courious-

one of the reasons i'm holdin off buying the mini is b/c of this question
also- knowing that i could get a copy of Tiger w/ my 'new' mini- if that might be Rev B or something-

who knows ;)

gotta love them apple.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Tiger will definitely run on a G4, and will probably run on almost every single G3, except the ones already not supported by Panther.

I believe what you "heard" was that there would be specific libraries of the OS installed specifically for G5's, just because of the 64-bit feature.
-Chase

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Yes, it will run on G4s and some G3s. I know a developer who has it running on his last gen G4 iBook, which is slower than the Mini, and it works fine. Apple would not release a new OS that cal only run on it's latest and greatest and can't even run on most of what it's selling today.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but I don't know where people get this stuff from.

mkelley

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
I've ran earlier builds of Tiger on a 450mhz G4 & 1.8ghz G5's and I'm running the latest on 450 & 733 G4s. The 733 is running very smooth, plus it has about 1.5gb of ram.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
My expectations are that Tiger will run on all G4 and G5 Macs as well as most of the G3 Macs (maybe not as many as Panther supports).

As solvs said, Apple would never release a product almost every Mac user would want that doesn't run on a large portion of their hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.