Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loonielola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
vancouver, bc
G5 imac is acting up. I was in and out of the g5 .. logging out of user accounts .. in an attempt to clean it up before giving it away. today it boot loops over and over. i cannot get in safemode. i reset the pram, i was able to bring up the firmware and verbose ... but it just will not start up. i was able to locate the hd but i am not able to click on the icon and next the arrow. finally, i was able to see the hd in target mode. any suggestion ..... ?? oh yes, i opened it up and took out the memory sticks and switched them. thxs.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Moving to the PowerPC forum as you may get more specific advice on the iMac.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
G5 imac is acting up. I was in and out of the g5 .. logging out of user accounts .. in an attempt to clean it up before giving it away. today it boot loops over and over. i cannot get in safemode. i reset the pram, i was able to bring up the firmware and verbose ... but it just will not start up. i was able to locate the hd but i am not able to click on the icon and next the arrow. finally, i was able to see the hd in target mode. any suggestion ..... ?? oh yes, i opened it up and took out the memory sticks and switched them. thxs.
Restting the PRAM is good and since that didn't work, first switch the RAM modules back to their original locations, clean out any dust, and then in Target Disk Mode, use disk utility to repair/verify permissions to see if that helps. If not, then you might have to reinstall the OS.

Which model of the iMac G5 do you have?

loonielola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
vancouver, bc
Restting the PRAM is good and since that didn't work, first switch the RAM modules back to their original locations, clean out any dust, and then in Target Disk Mode, use disk utility to repair/verify permissions to see if that helps. If not, then you might have to reinstall the OS.

Which model of the iMac G5 do you have?
2ghz PowerPC G5 2gb ddrsdram software 10.5.8 but i do not have a disk
[doublepost=1454971700][/doublepost]

when i start up i target mode and i see it from my macbook pro. i tried the utilities but it tells me i cannot us the disk utility as it is not same version (or something like that). why switch back the ram .. what difference would that make
in the start up or the imac ??

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
[doublepost=1454971700][/doublepost]

when i start up i target mode and i see it from my macbook pro. i tried the utilities but it tells me i cannot us the disk utility as it is not same version (or something like that). why switch back the ram .. what difference would that make
in the start up or the imac ??
It's definitely the HDD or OS, get an image of the install DVD from Macintosh garden and make a bootable USB

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
He is referring to the website macintoshgarden.org . It is a repository for abandonware Mac software .

Edit: Previous poster beat me to it.

loonielola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
vancouver, bc
Macintosh Garden is just a site that hosts a lot of abandonware for Macs (games, applications, etc) to download. They also have every Mac OS X install disk image up to Leopard. It's a very useful site; especially for PPC Macs.

thanks for the info. i really do not know what to look for. the G5 is running 10.5.8 will i have to boot it up from an earlier
OS could you be so kind and give me the link to the download. thx you.
[doublepost=1455053421][/doublepost]
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc Here you go; all the disk images are on here.

thanks. downloading now. thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.