Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gergrules

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2006
Oztralia
A friend of mine just forked out for a brand new G5 imac, and his kid threw something at the screen and broke the LCD. It still works, but the pixels are crunched in that region. Not a warranty job and no insurance.

Anyone know what can be done? Are the screens replaceable? Or is it easier to get a separate screen and run this as an external?

Thxs.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
It is possible to replace the LCD

gergrules said:
A friend of mine just forked out for a brand new G5 imac, and his kid threw something at the screen and broke the LCD. It still works, but the pixels are crunched in that region. Not a warranty job and no insurance.

Anyone know what can be done? Are the screens replaceable? Or is it easier to get a separate screen and run this as an external?

Thxs.

G5 iMacs and the new Intel iMacs are user upgradeable, being completely modular, you may find an old thread on this elsewher on MR.

The downside is that a replacement screen may well cost almost as much as a new iMac. There are lots of companies that will supply replacement screens (as will Apple I presume).

Insofar as running an external monitor, that will work, you will have to set the screen up for Mirroring (instead of screen spanning), though if the iMac screen is not too badly damaged you may be able to use both in spanning mode (all new(er) Macs including consumer models now support screen spanning, the older generation consumer machines (iMac, iBook etc) do not without a hack).

Good luck:D

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

ahh crap well the lcd will cost in the region of 400$ - 800$ depending on what version of the imac he has and where u get the lcd from - ebay perhaps ???? anyway i would say a external is a much better option if it works

good luck

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
gergrules said:
I don't know the Model or Merom. Could find out - but I think you've answered this now. Sounds like an external screen. Thanks people!
You're going to need to use the screen spanning hack if the onboard LCD is still plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.